Settings question around QUEST2

pognhek

Hi all,

I've got an oculus quest2 and a config with RTX 3070, an i7 10700K and 32 Go DDR4, and i think i've reached a quite satisfying settings, but i've three questions :

1) On my config, i can't go up to 36 fps, even when i try to changes settings (SS, MSA, aso) But it's almost always stable. Is there a settings that i missed to explain the incapacity to get higher fps?

2) When i spent some times (around 1h/ 1h30), the fps drops down to 10-16fps during a while. If i try to wait, sometimes it disappear and the fps come back (but sometimes not). I've tried to kill some apps to recover memory, sometimes it works (and sometimes not). It sounds like a buffer saturation, no?

3) When i play DCS, GPU is almost 100%, CPU is almots 3%, RAM is almost around 22-25Go but SWAP memory is around 33Go, Is it normal that the CPU is quite not working whereas the GPU is full charged.

For setting up, i've followed mainly this site : https://www.gamersbynight.com/dcs-settings-vr/, i've got 3Dmigoto VR enhancer mod and DCS VR shaders mods for 2.7.

My setup is mainly :

Oculus tray tool:

SS: 1.4

Everything disable ot OFF.

Server priority : realtime

Quest link : low, 3648,500

DCS:

Texture : high

Terrain Txt: low

Clouds: ultra

Water Medium

SS: 1

MSAA 2x

Everything Off (SSAA, SSLR, SSAO)

Antistrophic Filtering : 16X

Thanks by advance for your advices.

A.

FPS is not the whole story,  with my Q2 I'm at ss 1.85, clear Hornet cockpit, butter smooth, fps counter shows locked 24.  See the thread I started here for detail.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Hi Steel_jaw and thx for your quick reply.

I took a look to your previous post and founded the following:

So, currently running 72Hz/3616x1840 (auto setting), OTT SS 1.8, ASW Mode 30 Hz, CPU pri high detection Timer GPU Scaling off, link distortion low, encode res 3648, bit rate 300, smooth as glass and cockpit is clear at 1024 res.

is it so simple? just putting the auto settings of Q2 and pushing 30Hz with OTT? did i missed something else(and my w10 is up to date)?

I'll test tommorrow and keep you informed.

A.

Hi steel jaw.

This morning, i made tests as you proposed. And effectively i confirm what you mentioned. Fps measured in dcs is not relevant for evaluating the effects(you can have a laggy state @50fps, and perfect visible fps@24). The only things relevant is when the fps drops down. But i have stable 36 fps when asw is off. And when i put the forced 30fps, i've got a stable 24 fps@ss1.4 But no visible effects on real fps.

But ss in dcs seams to be more effective than OTT, but i didn't the have"clear as crystal" state.

But when i increase ss into dcs, visible fps drops down dramaticaly.

In any configuration tests, the cpu stand around 3-7 percent charge.

I'll test on long mission to see if it stay stable and if i observed the fps drops down that i mentionned

A.

Edited by pognhek

I made some tests and this afternoon, i was just making carrier training circuit(nothing but sea around carrier), and brutally the fps drops down from 36fps to 6-7, and gpu charge increases from 65 pc to saturate to 100pc.

So maybe my issue is coming from an non-understandable increase of gpu charge.

19 hours ago, pognhek said:

I made some tests and this afternoon, i was just making carrier training circuit(nothing but sea around carrier), and brutally the fps drops down from 36fps to 6-7, and gpu charge increases from 65 pc to saturate to 100pc.

So maybe my issue is coming from an non-understandable increase of gpu charge.

I experience a FPS drop if I go into the theatre map and then return to cockpit view. Not all the time and only in multiplayer. Is there any action like that you are doing that is perhaps prompting the drop or is it totally out of the blue?

• 6 months later...

So for SS would you use DCS PD or OTT . 1.4 ect . 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

9 hours ago, KoN said:

So for SS would you use DCS PD or OTT . 1.4 ect . 

Excellent question.  My own experience with Q2 and my pc specs is definitely use OTT set to 1.8 and i set dcs ss to .5

Edited by Steel Jaw
  • Like 1

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.