Please tell me what I might have done wrong (FCR)

Rongor

A-G selected. Mavericks are powered on in the SMS format. RF up/NORM, FCR forward/on

1. I selected the ground mode in the FCR MFD. radar screen remained black, although I was flying across landscape, around 15000 ft AGL.

Checked ECM XMIT wasn't on 2. switched ECM back to standby to be sure. Didn't cure it. Switched ECM back to OPR. Radar came alive.

2. after slewing around on the GM (radar MFD still as SOI), TMS forward to designate. Wanted to create a Markpoint at this location. So I pressed 7/MARK on the ICP. This switched SOI back to HUD, Markpoint DED page didn't receive any further inputs from TMS up. Displayed source in DED: 'HUD'

3. A-A selected, AMRAAMs selected in SMS. FCR is SOI. RWS mode

TMS right long didn't switch to TWS as usual, no matter how often or long I pressed.

All this happened while flying online.

Any idea what I could have missed in any of these cases?

If EO is selected weapon type it really matters what is the submode. For EO submode VIS, that's a visual submode and only FCR submode type AGR is allowed which won't paint a picture. AGR is the "CCIP of radar" just measuring a straight line distance through the target box. It would be helpful to know what FCR submode you were in and if this was only repeatable when carrying the ALQ.

In a preplanned AG mode and then selecting a visual mark submode is just not happening now. Either selecting mark, HUD in a preplanned mode should cause normal visual functionality or the marks should just be the TD box position. The current inability to HUD mark at all in a preplanned AG mode is weird.

TWS should change when TMS right is held for 500 or more milliseconds. Oddly DCS requires you to let go of the switch before it counts the time and decides if it was a short or a long press. TMS right is SOI-sensitive so if TGP is SOI it would control the TGP track mode instead. I'm not sure if it does the TWS switch in any SOI except FCR SOI.

vor 56 Minuten schrieb Frederf:

If EO is selected weapon type it really matters what is the submode. For EO submode VIS, that's a visual submode and only FCR submode type AGR is allowed which won't paint a picture. AGR is the "CCIP of radar" just measuring a straight line distance through the target box. It would be helpful to know what FCR submode you were in and if this was only repeatable when carrying the ALQ.

In a preplanned AG mode and then selecting a visual mark submode is just not happening now. Either selecting mark, HUD in a preplanned mode should cause normal visual functionality or the marks should just be the TD box position. The current inability to HUD mark at all in a preplanned AG mode is weird.

TWS should change when TMS right is held for 500 or more milliseconds. Oddly DCS requires you to let go of the switch before it counts the time and decides if it was a short or a long press. TMS right is SOI-sensitive so if TGP is SOI it would control the TGP track mode instead. I'm not sure if it does the TWS switch in any SOI except FCR SOI.

Sorry to hijack, but I found your last point very interesting that TMS long doesn't have to wait for the button to be released.  I definitely have found this a bit frustrating (also for setting HMCS to SOI).  It would be nice if the system responded after 0.5s giving the user visual feedback to release the button.  I can't find a bug report for this; maybe it should be reported if it hasn't been already.

Edited by Hellbat
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Frederf said:

The setting was a flight at night, where visual cues aren't available as much in target areas. So the idea was to locate the site by radar, set a markpoint there, so I could slew my TGP to that markpoint and start scanning for the targets from there, as the next steerpoint is way distant and there are no known target coordinates. Did this successfully the night before and form my memory I'd say the MAVs were on PRE then.

I will try this out what you explained, also regarding the possible ECM interference, when I come home later.

3 hours ago, Hellbat said:

Sorry to hijack, but I found your last point very interesting that TMS long doesn't have to wait for the button to be released.  I definitely have found this a bit frustrating (also for setting HMCS to SOI).  It would be nice if the system responded after 0.5s giving the user visual feedback to release the button.  I can't find a bug report for this; maybe it should be reported if it hasn't been already.

no worries. It's ok to bring this up. I didn't notice it so far when switching to TWS. Only in the case of making the HMCS SOI I immediately found it distracting, waiting for symbol to change until I lost patience and released the TMS.

Edited by Rongor