VR settings For AMD Navi2 Based systems (6900xt/3900x/G2)

nikoel

I did but im now back to 100% and NIS .80 with MSAAx2, to control the shimmer.  

But it is fascinating I can’t get any perf improvements out of dx11 being forced.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

25 minutes ago, Glide said:

I am having great success with my G2 set to 60 hz in WMR, Motion Smoothing OFF, Resolution 1600x900 (my monitor is 16:9 so the GUI fits nicely in 2D), and Visibility Range LOW.  Crank the rest up at your leisure. 

Indeed certainly one can gain a lot from running at 60hz. I also tried this and for sure it ran very smoothly, however I was very aware of the slight flicker which I find very distracting. It’s very possible this is also somewhat system dependent as it doesn’t seem to bother everyone. If I could live with that flicker or remove it I would certainly run at 60.

• Like 1

1.  The 60Hz flicker is horrible in WMR home; it's like a fluorescent light is going bad.  I'd suggest trying it in-game, where it's not nearly as bad, before a person decides. (I still don't like it, but will admit, it beats the snot out of flying in pancake mode)

2.  I wonder if forcing DX11 makes it work better with the fholger mod?  Since I quit using FSR4VR (in favor of ReShade) I don't see any difference whether it's on or off

3.  From what I can gather:   Steam gangs up with WMR and sends a recommendation to DCS as to what size image to render.  DCS can either comply, or not; you adjust that with PD.  You can also edit the recommendation with Steam Global and Steam Per-App settings.  Point being, all that stuff goes into the hopper.  It doesn't matter how you get there.  If you play around with Jabber's spreadsheet you'll see there are several ways of hitting your target, and which knobs you twiddle make no difference at all (says Jabbers -- who is a programmer -- and based on my experiments I'm inclined to agree).

It is important to remember, if you send an undersampled image to the compositor, it'll be scaled up, with the artifact that goes along with that.  If you send an oversampled image to the compositor, it'll be scaled down and in that case you get the advantage of using supersampling as an anti-aliasing technique.  (Which is what I do).  Note, "100%" in your Steam settings should be about 140% of your native resolution, depending on the headset.  (Confusing, I know.)  So if you want to run precisely at native resolution in the G2, your combination of Steam Global, Steam per-app, and PD should add up to 3100x3100 pixels.  How you get there is up to you, and I'd bet my own money that it doesn't matter how you get there. 

The exception to that rule is if you use the fholger mod (FSR for VR, or VR Perf Toolkit).  That takes whatever image size you've specified using Steam Global, Steam Per-App, and PD.  Downscales that for performance, and then using some kind of dark magic, upscales it back to what you specified.  That virtual image is sent to the compositor for processing. 

I think it follows, the full impact of the fholger mod should only be apparent if you send the exact right size image to the compositor (for the G2, 3100x3100) otherwise WMR has to scale the image again and I imagine that might dilute the effect of the fholger mod.  Which is kind of not good if you're undersampling, but, TED's approach is very interesting...

So I guess the strategy is to send a supersampled image to the compositor -- not all of which was rendered by DCS.  Some of those pixels were synthesized by the fholger mod, right?   Interesting, I'll have to try that.  

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder