Vr advice

Cyborg71

I've had a oculus Rift for several years. I use it occasionally now because though originally the immersion was mind blowing, the 'rosey tint' of wow wore off fast as DCS moved on graphically. 

Now, despite a recent high end pc upgrade the oculus remains stuttery mushy and generally uninspiring.

At the expense of sounding idiotic, is the oculus bottlenecking performance of a 12900k, 3080ti, 64gb ram,  ssd machine.

Other than crisper resolution, would a HP Reverb G2 solve any of other the performance problems. FPS drops, stutter etc.

I struggle to find a straight answer as to whether it will help or not. I don't think 600€£$ is valid for slightly clearer images alone.

Cheers & best wishes.

If you have stutter it sounds like some settings are not what it should be optimally.

I'm running a quest 2 on a 6900XT. And don't have much issues keeping it locked at 72 FPS. 
Unfortunately ASW seems to work less optimal on AMD cards then Nvidia cards. So I'm unable to run DCS at 45 FPS with ASW on.
To much artifacts.

As to you question, check out some of the other threads here, going into great details on settings, performance etc. on what you are asking about.

Cheers

The headset won't be bottlenecking the GPU and your machine is more than capable of driving VR.  Your issues will be lying somewhere in the configuration of the VR renderer (should be oculus rather than steamvr in your case) rather than the hardware itself.  Upgrading to a G2 would give a significant improvement in visual clarity (which can aid comfort and efficiency in the sim) but would invariably result in lower framerates because you're driving many more pixels.  Note that high framerates do not necessarily equal a smooth experience with DCS VR, it is possible to run a WMR headset down to a little over 30fps and still have a completely smooth, stutter free image.

Trawl through the guides above and you should come across the right combination of settings that works with both your hardware and yourself.  DCS VR is far from plug and play but when you get the settings nailed it can be glorious 🙂

edit: on the mid spec machine in my signature I can run the G2 with mostly high settings with frametimes between 11-20ms (90-50 fps) and it's butter smooth.

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

What are your settings and what have you tried to alleviate stuttering?  If you want to play at a locked 90FPS, it wont happen unless you're running pretty low settings. 

But even with my PC (see sig for specs) I can run fairly high settings and keep 45fps locked on 90% of maps/missions.  The biggest one I have issues with still is a loaded carrier on some missions/campaigns I do.  No real issues in multiplayer.

MSI X790 Carbon Wifi, 13900K, MSI 4090 Suprim X, 64gb DDR5 6400CL30, HP Reverb G2, VKB NXT Evo, VKB STECS Max, Thrustmaster rudder pedals

You said 64gb RAM, are you using dual channel 32 sticks or 4x16?  What MB?  I had issues with 4x16 sticks causing issues and when I went to 2x16 they went away.  All 4 sticks were good, but the z690 asus board didn't like 4 sticks.  The Oculus should be easier to drive than the G2.  I have both.  The clarity in the G2 makes it worth the small performance hit.  

i9-12900K - EVGA 3090 FTW - 64GB DDR5 5600 - HP Reverb G2

Generally, we can all get stutter free smooth VR, the question is how much visual clarity, particularity in the cockpit, are you willing to give up?

• Like 1

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.