what the nightvision?!?

Rick50

6 hours ago, scommander2 said:

I

Snag_dd1315c.png

Just noticed in a screenshot of the CPG... he's got the the monocle for the PNVS... but ALSO the night vision binos on his helmet?!?!  What??

I mean, nice to have night vision, but... doesn't he already have night vision for flying in the dark with the monocle and PNVS ?!

Am I missing something? I didn't think the bino night goggles were used in the Apache... 

Or is the binos just for emergency battle redundancy, in case the PNVS and or monocle fails during a flight, can still manage to get to a FARP / safety? 

Kinda confused by that, any real-world 'Pache pilots weigh in on this?

Edited by Rick50

Casmo talked about this in one of his preview videos I think. Or it may have been the Apache episode of the FPP, I can't recall exactly. Sometimes NVGs are nice because both pilots can't use PNVS at the same time and the TADS is not the best night vision system for just looking around. More importantly I think, both TADS and PNVS are thermal camera systems, so they can't see IR markers. If they want to spot an IR laser or strobe from another aircraft or ground troops, they need to use NVGs. 

You can't use both at the same time. To look through NVGs you fold the IHADSS monocle off to the side. 

• Like 1

Ah, makes perfect sense! Thanks!

Yea, not being able to see IR light sources might make it difficult to see FARP's, friendly ground units, individual friendly troops... or even IR laser designators from ground troops...

Edited by Rick50