New to DCS. Requesting information.

persius

On 3/23/2022 at 2:34 PM, persius said:

Hello Everybody.

Up until now I've been flying "BMS Falcon" and after viewing videos on youtube I am very interested in transitioning simply from the graphic aspect I've seen so far.   I have some questions that I hope people can shed light on before I make a purchase.  I'll therefore keep it simple.

-In BMS the idea behind the sim was realism in terms of tactics and campaign.   Does DCS (F-16) have a campaign or is it just single missions?

-Are there promotions and awards in DCS?  Not that it matters but it ads to the realism.

-I've been looking over the min/max system requirements and I'm at a loss if my PC is up to standards so perhaps somebody can let me know.

Here is a link to my system.  I'm quite certain I'm good to go but a 2nd opinion always helps especially if I would like to apply max details and effects.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1560430-REG/lenovo_90nc001rus_t550_28l_i7_10700f_8gb_512gb.html/overview

-I have a generic controller with 12 buttons and a throttle.   Will that be sufficient for this sim?

-Lastly.  In terms of tutorials.  Does the program come with an instructional manual or do I need to rely on video tutorials?

Thank you.

persius, I also came from the BMS platform, but in 2012, in the course of use of a "clandestine source" copy of Flaming Cliffs, bought the DCS A-10C Warthog; talk about a huge-bang-for-the-buck, and I also have to admit a trace of pride when I see "you already have a license for this product......" when browsing the DCS fleets 🙂 I have occasional visits to the Falcon and actually plan on my next DCS purchase the DCS F-16 because of so much learned inside the BMS Falcon series. Having had a trial run with the DCS F-16, it's a "gotta-have" 🙂

From my experience, even the lower-end DCS graphics settings are more than acceptable. What I cannot tolerate is always of my own doing....... I want that photoreal world but can't deal with 3 frames-per-second flight close to ground with the most realistic blast smoke ever all around. You sound sharp enough to "get" what settings you might find need a bit of reduction if that even arises...... volumetrics/particles, anti-aliasing in its various forms being the most likely in need of tuning but of course operating system and other criteria outside DCS World can have elusive effect on performance but will say that DCS gurus (lurking everywhere 🙂) are generous and with hints and pointers to biggest-hit settings. Don't mean to ramble, 🙂 but when I obtained the AH-64D on day of release, I spent 3 days or so FLAMIN' discouraged; the Apache kept smoking its own engines and refused to take off. The RAPID response to my tech support request made me recall a mechanic I knew who more than once instantly knew the problem my car had...... a problem that could have numerous other reasons but he nailed it over the phone every time.

I may be incorrect but also from my experience, the impact of highest visual quality settings appears to vary to some extent depending on the module...... my FA-18C may run smooth as silk, but another module not so well, indicating a tweak to "System" setting in DCS World's "Options" page. Lastly, I noticed "bhphotovideo.com" in your post....... definitely my "go-to-first" choice for all sorts of products.

LAST (I promise!), you said "before I make a purchase". DCS is like NO OTHER (that I know of); nearly EVERY product is available for 14-day trial, with option to try again after 6 months. No ads, no nags, just 100% actual product for evaluating. Now THAT's "better than a sharp stick in the eye" !!!!!!!!!! (from "Wayne's World")