IHADSS focal plane in VR

Gun Jam

Hello

with the IHADSS powered off but the monocle in my FOV  it looks great it feels like you might imagine it would.

However with IHADSS powered on the image displayed almost feels like its on the same focal plane as the monocle (5" in front of my eye) i find it quite difficult to comfortably use. No one holds a cell phone 5" away (at least your optometrist would advise against) shouldn't the focal distance be closer to a foot or 16" or more??

is this a known issue? or a setting issue on my end?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

• ED Team

Hi, 

we have not had any complaints from our real AH-64D pilots, can you take a screenshot maybe of what you are seeing 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Ive not seen complaints either. I would get you a screenshot but im worried the image is in my brain...because vr and possibly because being cross dominate (R handed L eye dom) 

maybe the issue is my lack of understanding of how the IHADSS displays the image in real life.

Based on observation a projector displays the image on the glass. However I believe the issue has to do with some trickery with how the image is displayed on the glass.  The glass plate is at a 2 inch focal plane but the text is perhaps on a 6 foot focal plane ( this means that I would have to adjust my eyeballs to focus at 6 feet away then if I look out the window re adjust them to say 700 feet at my landing zone this is reasonable and would be about like checking your speedometer in your car as you drive along)

I found an option in "Special" that allows the image to render in both eyes. This has improved things quite a bit. Seems a bit close still but not too difficult to focus on.

Does anyone know what focal distance the displayed image should be?

Thanks

9 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

we have not had any complaints from our real AH-64D pilots, can you take a screenshot maybe of what you are seeing 

thanks

It can't be screenshot, it is caused by human vision, affected by age.

I'm R handed and R eye dominant, and also have some problem focusing on the IHADSS with one eye. Or I can better say it causes fatigue, but training helps a lot.

As my eyes are far from perfect (almost 49 years old) sometimes (very rarely) I should use glasses for monitor viewing distance (50-60 cm) to relax my vision. In my experience when using this glasses makes my Reverb G2 razor sharp with much bigger sweetspot than using the HMD with naked eyes. So anyone who owns a G2 and having small sweetspot problems should try this (and check your vision with an optician even if you think it's perfect)!

The problem you mentioned relies in the current VR display technology. Only multifocal VR lens could make the depth perception correct with one eye. With the current fixed focal length HMD the depth can only be perceived by using both eyes, it's simply impossible with one eye. Your brain will interpret the IHADSS symbology closer that the cockpit because it "seems" closer (hides the cockpit in the background).

Edited by St4rgun
  • PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

Thanks for the Reply guys. Those explanations make sense and for the time being if you are struggling with the IHADSS focal plane set the image to "both eyes" and I found that personally improved things quite a bit.