AIM-120 Consistently Swaps Target

Exorcet

It seems like AIM-120's fired in short intervals have a very high chance of swapping to the wrong target, especially the first missile launched.

This is of course possible with an active missile, but it seems to happen to consistently to just be by chance dropping the wrong target and then picking up a different one. Also it appears that spacing out missiles launches make the issue less likely when this should have no impact on the first missile's performance at all.

I've attached a track where you can see the issue. An ideal setting with 4 targets that don't maneuver and fly head on to the missile, yet the first missile always goes for a target different than the one it was launched on.

AIM120TargetSwap.trk

• Like 2

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

5 hours ago, Eaglegg8808g8 said:

any missile?
if that is realiistic , dodge missile will be easy , can easy to dodge in missile NEZ .
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1443181823?t=0h19m43s   u can watch this video i dodge a very close AIM-120 very easy because missile loss lock

Yup, as long as a missle has a physical gimbal limit the seeker can be defeated by flying out side of its limits.

Not sure what the video is supposed to show, so I can't comment on it.

Think of a missile as a complex system. As long as you defeat any part of the system, you end up defeating the system as a whole.

• Thanks 1

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

It's called notching if I'm understanding what you guys are talking about.

That said, the AIM-120C should not be as susceptible to the notch as much as it is in DCS. A lazy sort-of perpendicular flight path defeats missiles when it should be closer to 1-2 degrees of precision (RWR should not be precise enough for this) and still rarely work. Notching is not a thing for modern missiles like the AIM-120.

• Thanks 1

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

15 minutes ago, MARLAN_ said:

That said, the AIM-120C should not be as susceptible to the notch as much as it is in DCS. A lazy sort-of perpendicular flight path defeats missiles when it should be closer to 1-2 degrees of precision (RWR should not be precise enough for this) and still rarely work. Notching is not a thing for modern missiles like the AIM-120.

Ah you are right, they were talking about notching - I miss-read the post.

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

4 hours ago, Cmptohocah said:

Yup, as long as a missle has a physical gimbal limit the seeker can be defeated by flying out side of its limits.

Not sure what the video is supposed to show, so I can't comment on it.

Think of a missile as a complex system. As long as you defeat any part of the system, you end up defeating the system as a whole.

4 hours ago, MARLAN_ said:

Thanks u guys
this version AIM-120 should be fixed i think

Edited by Eaglegg8808g8

On 3/30/2022 at 11:33 AM, Exorcet said:

It seems like AIM-120's fired in short intervals have a very high chance of swapping to the wrong target, especially the first missile launched.

This is of course possible with an active missile, but it seems to happen to consistently to just be by chance dropping the wrong target and then picking up a different one. Also it appears that spacing out missiles launches make the issue less likely when this should have no impact on the first missile's performance at all.

I've attached a track where you can see the issue. An ideal setting with 4 targets that don't maneuver and fly head on to the missile, yet the first missile always goes for a target different than the one it was launched on.

AIM120TargetSwap.trk 55.92 kB · 4 downloads

i agree