Proposal for short term goals for DCS Mission Scripting Environment enhancements

rurounijones

Planned to be considered for development in 2023.

@Kate PerederkoThe 2023 and Beyond Newsletter has listed a number of core improvements planned to be worked on in 2023 which is great but there was no mention of implementing community requested APIs, of which this proposal is a part, nor anything related to mission scripting generally..

* Can you confirm if working on this proposal is still planned for 2023?
* If it is then, for the sake of managing expectations, could you confirm if it is going to be worked on in Q1 or not? (I assume ED, like most companies, plans on a quarterly basis).

Edited by rurounijones
Add quote for context since new page.
  • Like 3

• ED Team

The reason why the scripting environment was NOT mentioned in the newsletter is that I'm looking for suitable and passioned developers who will participate. I don't want to set the plans and announce them without the people who will be actually working in this area.

If I will be able to find right candidates, we'll make a roadmap and share it with the community. We know what to do and have great feedback and suggestions.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for the update. Then please correct me if I am wrong but that sounds like:

It will not be worked on in Q1 2023
There is no guarantee it will be worked on at all in 2023; depending on if Eagle Dynamics are able to hire an employee solely / primarily to work on the scripting environment as no existing employees will be assigned to working on it.

Edited by rurounijones
Clarifications
  • Like 5

On 4/11/2022 at 1:23 PM, Pikey said:

For the record, the MOOSE community were not consulted in this request. Rather than derail the ask, I intend to aggregate the votes of the 1900 active members on the MOOSE Discord and summarise what people are asking for, since everyone will always have their own wishes and I've long since given up assuming I know what people actually want. I doubt any of them will have considered ways of identifying a forest though.

Very interesting omission here.

4 hours ago, rurounijones said:

Not really. I screwed up and forgot about MOOSE, massive brain fart but what is done is done and I would prefer not to derail this thread talking about it.

I did ask the Moose Community Discord, there was minimal and duplicating feedback, so no follow-ups here.

Your average DCS pilot won't understand much of why adding more detailed terrain API's help them, right up until they ask why all the artillery is pointing into a tall building. Turns out that was true of the people that consume Moose in general. What had me absolutely baffled was not trying to use the 2200 folks on Moose Discord to get more visibility on this request. So much effort is still being siloed in the community amongst its time zones, languages, Discord servers and individuals.

FWIW if any of the items turn up this year all communities would be delighted without reservation. You are welcome to use MOOSE Discord to announce project milestones or new technologies, we recently integrated a MOOSE voice class to optionally utilise gRPC as its cloud voice output, last year we ventured into a socket class, cloud speech and a couple of bots to see if MOOSE can break out of the mission environment so it more relevant for things that can interconnect to be mentioned than ever before.

• Like 1

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

On 1/10/2023 at 3:56 PM, Kate Perederko said:

The reason why the scripting environment was NOT mentioned in the newsletter is that I'm looking for suitable and passioned developers who will participate. I don't want to set the plans and announce them without the people who will be actually working in this area.

If I will be able to find right candidates, we'll make a roadmap and share it with the community. We know what to do and have great feedback and suggestions.

What qualifications are you looking for and where can we apply?

• Like 4

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Warehouse APIs, which were part of this request,  have been added in todays patch https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/changelog/openbeta/2.8.8.43489/ :

And a related Hoggit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/15tp037/update_2_on_proposal_for_short_term_goals_for_dcs/

Edited by rurounijones
  • Like 3