Two things I'd like to get your opinion on...

RackMonkey

First, I switched to OpenXR. The rest of my setup is in my Sig.

1. Since I switched to OpenXR my GPU frametime has gone from 10 to 12ms up to 17 to 21ms. All my setting are the same and OpenXR is default. Nothing I change seem to bring down the GPU frametime. It's not unusable but there is some stuttering any time I'm above 15ms. And to answer your next question, I have tried moving all my setting to their lowest or off. It just stays around 17ms more and doesn't hit 21ms as often.

2. Is there any way to get the MFD image sharper? I have my texture setting on high, cockpit at 1024 every frame, MSAA at 4, OpenXR sharpness is at 40 and I increased the size of the cockpit to as much as 50 in the VR settings. I just can't find and ID ground targets with the TGP with the fuzzyness that I currently have.  

MSI Z490 Tomahawk, I5-11600kf, 2X512GB NvME, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3200, Reverb G2, T50-CM2, OpenXR

31st TFW, 14th MAS, 9th ARS

FSR is kind of borked in OpenXR, turn that off if you're using it.  

Depends on the platform I guess but in general it seems MFD's aren't coming across at high resolution.  I've found contrast settings help some but bottom line is, you're not alone.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

One of the reasons I went back to Steam VR for my Aero.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

12 hours ago, RackMonkey said:

First, I switched to OpenXR. The rest of my setup is in my Sig.

1. Since I switched to OpenXR my GPU frametime has gone from 10 to 12ms up to 17 to 21ms. All my setting are the same and OpenXR is default. Nothing I change seem to bring down the GPU frametime. It's not unusable but there is some stuttering any time I'm above 15ms. And to answer your next question, I have tried moving all my setting to their lowest or off. It just stays around 17ms more and doesn't hit 21ms as often.

2. Is there any way to get the MFD image sharper? I have my texture setting on high, cockpit at 1024 every frame, MSAA at 4, OpenXR sharpness is at 40 and I increased the size of the cockpit to as much as 50 in the VR settings. I just can't find and ID ground targets with the TGP with the fuzzyness that I currently have.  

Hey Bud

Try uninstalling OpenXR and the OpenXR Tools. Then installing again, it's possible you're running into an issue where you have an older version installed/partially installed. You will be able to grab OpenXR Tools from Windows store. Then go to the right most tab inside the app and install OpenXR Runtime and enable it - it solves a lot of issues. I do not know why this happens but the devs are aware and are working on the solution

Do not use FSR/NIS and just run pure 100% resolution and your image will be pretty close to being as clear as the 3 billion dollar Vajo. FSR makes the image worse under all conditions. I would encourage you to reset all the settings to default and just turn up the saturation a little (58 in my case) the difference should be night and day between SteamVR and OpenXR in terms of clarity and sharpness. There is no reason to use sharpening filters and other addons 

Finally backup and then delete your DCS Saved Games folder (It will also remove your bindings but don't worry you still have them in the old one, so they are easy to get back)

Can you also post your graphics settings inside DCS and I might be able to offer advice there

It's still early days and we are figuring it out

Edited by nikoel

4 hours ago, nikoel said:

Do not use FSR/NIS and just run pure 100% resolution and your image will be pretty close to being as clear as the 3 billion dollar Vajo. FSR makes the image worse under all conditions. I would encourage you to reset all the settings to default and just turn up the saturation a little (58 in my case) the difference should be night and day between SteamVR and OpenXR in terms of clarity and sharpness. There is no reason to use sharpening filters and other addons 

some might benefit from getting this tattooed to the back of their hand

@edmuss should get a medal for the work he's done with the 3070, where FSR was put to good use.  But if you have a GPU that'll drive the G2 at native resolution, I don't know why you wouldn't want to do that. It's glorious

Information is king.  One way of looking at it is, all your information is contained in the frame DCS renders.  You don't have all the information until your frame size is 3100x3100.  No amount of number-shuffling is going to change that

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

I don't use FSR, just OXR resolution at 75% with no upscaling or MR. I get north of 60fps consistently with the 3070 and running the G2 at 60Hz so it's above refresh and perfectly smooth. DCS settings are medium/high with no MSAA and the MFDs are perfectly readable with no fuzziness 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

^Awesome.  I guess FSR is just not helpful at all in OXR.  

I'm running in to the same thing in MSFS, I can get it smooth-ish with FSR but it undoes all that fine anti-aliasing.  Back to adjusting resolution and testures I guess

Oh no, FSR does work in OXR and it does improve performance, however my preference is to not use it because it introduces more apparent shimmer than it does the SVR.

Running 150% resolution with 60% FSR looks about the same as 75% resolution but with a slight performance deficit.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

I haven't ghosted the thread but it's taking time to check all the recommendations. I also had my G2 torn apart to drill some vent holes in it to get rid of the heat it generates. I can't believe that the unit is completely closed up.

MSI Z490 Tomahawk, I5-11600kf, 2X512GB NvME, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3200, Reverb G2, T50-CM2, OpenXR

36 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Oh no, FSR does work in OXR and it does improve performance

Not as much as it should ime.  Look at it this way... 150%/.6 should run circles around 75% performance wise.    Very predictable performance impact in SVR. Not so much in OXR. 

Not really, as far as I'm aware 150% x 0.5 is the same as 75% native (minus the additional overhead).

It's not 0.6x0.6 as an upscaling ratio of the target (defined as the SVR or OXR render resolution). It's a multiplication of the target resolution.

75% gives larger aliasing steps than 150% x 0.6 but it doesn't have so much microshimmer all over the cockpit. This is a preferable option for me 🙂

Edited by edmuss

OH ok.   fholger's ScaleFactor was by axis, the companion app is by total frame size.  Gotcha.  

That made my other conversation... weird I guess.  The argument was, 200%/60% using FSR was really fast and looked awesome.  I benchmarked it against 100%/83% and was surprised the first one was slower.  Shouldn't have been, though; my DCS frame was 44% bigger.  It didn't look exactly awesome either. 

It did answer my question though, which is whether supersampling can erase the jaggies caused by scaling.  It doesn't.  

Funny thing is, dude turned right around and said "oh no, I retested it and 200/60 is WAY faster than native resolution."  It would be (and is) quite a bit faster in SVR, but in OXR, I don't see how that's possible

Makes me feel a little better I guess, I was pretty sure I wasn't hallucinating.  Still probably gonna kick it to the curb in MSFS, the jaggies are pretty bad.  DCS on the other hand is looking really good these days, without trickery

Edited by DeltaMike

Vrperfkit FSR is the same, total frame size not by axis; it states this in the readme file for it 🙂

Don't forget that if you're at angels15, any shimmer from ground objects is going to be minimal; down low though and every edge is accentuated. It's very much a use case scenario, what works for one situation isn't necessarily going to work for another.

41 minutes ago, Cythkato said:

Any thoughts on using OpenXR Toolkit FSR for sharpening only, no upscaling, by having the FSR "Size" setting at 100% and "Sharpness" setting at 100%?  Thanks.

I tried that, but unfortunately for me it just gave a sharper image but at the expense of still introducing the shimmer all over the cockpit.

26 minutes ago, RackMonkey said:

On that note what do you guys think about OpenXR's motion reprojection?

It's not up there quality wise with WMR4SVR yet in DCS, it's diabolical for helo rotors and shadows, better on jets but still far more artifacts currently.  I believe that the devs are working on it to hopefully get the same stage as WMR4SVR, however due to the differences in how OXR and SVR sort out the head tracking/location it's proving tricky.

Performance wise it blows WMR4SVR out of the water because it can step down in fractions of refresh - 90/45/30/22 and still be perfectly smooth 🙂

It looks like we have all done what we can with what we have and are just going to wait for the next update to either DCS or OpenXR.

14 hours ago, edmuss said:

Vrperfkit FSR is the same, total frame size not by axis; it states this in the readme file for it 🙂

Don't forget that if you're at angels15, any shimmer from ground objects is going to be minimal; down low though and every edge is accentuated. It's very much a use case scenario, what works for one situation isn't necessarily going to work for another.

This is the part I was looking at

# control how much the render resolution is lowered. The renderScale factor is
  # applied to both width and height. So if renderScale is set to 0.5 and you
  # have a resolution of 2000x2000 configured in SteamVR, the resulting render
  # resolution is 1000x1000.
  # NOTE: this is different from how render scale works in SteamVR! A SteamVR
  # render scale of 0.5 would be equivalent to renderScale 0.707 in this mod!
  renderScale: 0.9

It's more than a little confusing but clearly in OXR it scales linearly... all makes sense now