Keybind to change speed of autopilot and cruise control

Wychmaster

I am frequently using the autopilot and cruise control features to focus on other stuff than driving my vehicle. However, if I want to change the movement speed, the current implementation is not as straight forward as it could be.

In autopilot, I need to go to the F-10 map and click the slider, which can be dangerous in high threat areas. This is especially a problem when I want to advance slowly while using the "g" key to dynamically assign a route. Everytime you use it, the speed is set to max and you need to turn it down again via the F-10 map.

In cruise control mode, it is not that problematic but still annoying. You need to accelerate or decelerate manually to the desired speed and reactivate cruise control. But if you are using the keyboard, you do not have really good control due to the fast accelerations at lower speeds. I regularly end up fiddling around with cruise control for several seconds to get the correct speed that I want.

My suggestion:

When cruise control or the autopilot is on, the already existing keys to accelerate or decelerate adjust the set speed of those modes. (IIRC they currently do nothing in AP and automatically cancel CC). Additionally, an UI indicator should be shown that presents the target speed of those modes.

In autopilot, speed changes would of cause only work if you are the group leader same as the "g" key commands to set new waypoints.

Alternatively, we can get new keybinds for this, but I think reusing the existing ones here is more intuitive.

• Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Callsign112:

Just for my own understanding, you would like the existing keys used to accelerate/decelerate (W/S), to also be able to adjust the set speed in autopilot/cruise control?

yes, that is the suggestion, since those keys have currently no real use when those modes are active and I guess it would feel natural.

• Like 1

+1

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

1 hour ago, Wychmaster said:

yes, that is the suggestion, since those keys have currently no real use when those modes are active and I guess it would feel natural.

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure I understood you correctly, and agree that would be a nice addition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1