Hornet gets increasing sideslip - affects unguided bombing

Jinker
Go to solution Solved by tech_op2000,

Hi all, please see the attached track.

During this mission, the aircraft gets a seemingly meaningless sideslip to the left. This is neither caused by wind (see how I turn 180° and it's still to the left) nor by asymmetric loadout (see how it's still there after firing/jettison all stations). This sideslip is absent at mission start and gets worse with time during the mission. It also seems to be a bit worse wit decreasing altitude.

This affects unguided bombing. It seems it affects also the HUD cueing system of the ATFLIR.

I probaby made something wrong... if so, please tell me what. Otherwise it might be a bad bug.

Thanks in advance!!

hornet_sideslip.trk

Forgot to mention: I thoroughly checked my input controls and they are fine.

The FCS shows also practically centered controls.

And some screenshots here

Screen_220622_182035.png

Screen_220622_192952.png

Screen_220622_193327.png

High jinks!

• Solution

You are experiencing Inertial Navigation System(INS) Drift. This is due to not having access to GPS. It can be identified by the "IFA RDR" message on your HSI when you switch to IFA. IFA uses GPS to update your INS. 

Do you have the option "Unrestricted SATNAV" selected in your GAMEPLAY options?  This should allow you to have GPS access even if not on the right side or too far back in time.

Its a bit odd because when I open your .trk in the mission editor, it shows the year as 2022. You are playing as "Combined Joint Task Forces" (blue). Theoretically, you should have access to GPS. It may be a bug with South Atlantic Map, or.... It looks like your playing a Liberation Campaign mission. In another Forum Thread, a user reported problems with SATNAV on one of his liberation campaigns. I'm not sure why.

Please check and read this whole thread, this has been a bug with the hornet for about a year or two now. Basically if you put your INS in NAV (No GPS) mode and not IFA (GPS), literally minutes after take off your CCIP bomb delivery will be completely inaccurate and useless. The 80's server I play on has to set the date into the mid 90's to use IFA because of this bug making the ins useless for CCIP delivery.