Stabilizer in landing gains

The horizontal stabilizer has been going LE down in landing gains ever since initial EA release of the Viper. It's more pronounced with a fwd CoG (e.g. TGP and or HTS pods on the chin). That behaviour has been wrong ever since, as the F-16 stabs are noticeably neutral on approach.

For what we're seeing in game, check out Wags' ILS tutorial - on a clean jet, the stabs will go about 5° LE down. You don't actaully have to watch the video, it's evident on the thumbnail picture.

Note the stabs are more or less in parallel with the horizon, indicating an "in trim" position for a conventional aircraft.

On an actual Viper, the stabs don't work that way - check out this HAF Block 52:

And this USAF Block 42:

It seems like there's some weird issue with the CoG or the way the FLCS handes it in game. I was kind of hoping the ITR update would make the issue disappear, however it's still there.

Edit - on a quick note, this is what a heavy bird currently looks like on final approach:

Screen_220705_112456.jpeg

Edited by Bremspropeller
  • Like 1

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

• ED Team

Hi, 

please include a track replay from your test and any evidence you have to support this as video does not always help in these reports as there are to many factors at play with the aircraft. 

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

FLCS_test_clean.trkFLCS_test_heavy.trk

Here are the associated tracks. I built a mission that puts me on a 16NM final - once in a clean bird and once in a laden-up bird to show the difference and similarities.

I'm trying to slow down at about 1kt/s ish. Dropping the gear at 250KCAS and deploying the boards a few seconds later. What's evident right away is that the stabs are fighting the TEF deployment. TEFs are coming down with the LG lever down.

I'm flying the approach at 10-11° AoA but I'm slowing down to 13° AoA above the beach to show the effect of AoA - it slightly worsens the stab position, as expected due to the increased downwash. Here's the mission in case anybody else wants to give it a shot, too.

Note: I realize the "heavy" bird has full tanks and is relatively empty internal. I didn't find a quick way around that issue.

FLCS_test.miz

I might do another test-series later on, deploying the gear at different airspeeds (maybe 200KCAS, 180KCAS and 160KCAS) to better show the relationship of the TEF and the stab in case that's needed.

Edited by Bremspropeller
  • Like 1

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • ED Team

Sorry for over looking this report, I will run it by the team. 

Edit: Team have checked and are happy with the implementation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2