Autopilot - Desired Track vs. Desired Heading Hold

Hello,

My search didn't yield the answer to this question. I'm wondering what the difference between "Desired Heading Hold" and "Desired Track Angle Hold" in Route Mode. I experimented with them but cannot figure out what the difference is. They both seem to enable autopilot to follow the waypoints or direction to target.

Thanks.

Thanks so it says:

"Desired heading: Point heli at the chosen WP.

Desired track: Fly the heli along the pre-dermined FLIGHT PATH to the WP."

But what I notice is that when I use desired heading, it also seems to fly along the pre-determined FLIGHT PATH. So I'm still confused as to the difference.

That is because you are probably pretty close to the flight path. I.e: right after take off or you just reached a waypoint, so you are very close to the desired FP. Try this: disengage autopilot, fly a couple of minutes perpendicular to the flight path (about 90 degree left or right) You will see on the Abris and on the HSI you are off of the flight path. Than you can engage route mode, and try what is the difference between DTA and DH.

ASUS P6X58D Premium, Intel Core i7 980X 3.33 Ghz Extreme, 12 Gb Corsair DDR 3 1600 Mhz, 2x 1 Gb Geforce 460 GTX GLH in SLI , X52 Pro, Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Logitech G15, TrackIR 4 Pro, 600 Gb Sata 3 WD Velociraptor 10000 RPM, 1000 W Corsair PSU, HOTAS WARTHOG

You're welcome :)

ASUS P6X58D Premium, Intel Core i7 980X 3.33 Ghz Extreme, 12 Gb Corsair DDR 3 1600 Mhz, 2x 1 Gb Geforce 460 GTX GLH in SLI , X52 Pro, Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Logitech G15, TrackIR 4 Pro, 600 Gb Sata 3 WD Velociraptor 10000 RPM, 1000 W Corsair PSU, HOTAS WARTHOG

• 14 years later...

Hi Guys

Just something else ... I had all sorts of problems trying to use Desired Track in autopilot. I could follow a route no problem in Desired Heading mode but Desired Track seemed to have a mind of it's own! It was only when I bound a switch to the option that I realised the problem. The switch in the Ka-50 is a three way switch ... Up is Desired Heading and down is Desired Track BUT it is a three way switch with a neutral position in the middle. If you click with the mouse just once on the switch you actually go from Desired Heading to the neautral position! Being a blind old git I hadn't noticed so it looked to me that I had changed the mode from one to the other. I spent hours trying to figure out why the ENR ROUTE light only came on while in Desired Heading mode!

Okay, so it all seems obvious now, and many seasoned players are probably have a right laugh, but as a newbie I think it's nice to know these things so I hope it helps a fellow newbie.

Happy hunting people

Regards

Game setup - I9-13900K, 3000 MHZ 24 Core 32 Logical Processors, NVIDIA RTX 4090, 42” ASUS 4K OLED monitor, TM HOTAS Warthog, TM TPR Rudder pedals, HP Reverb G2 VR - soon to be Bigscreen VR

IIRC, with the middle position set, the autopilot uses your last trimmed heading rather than a set waypoint, so your heli maintains the direction you were pointing when you released the trim switch and sets a caret in the hud.

It's a useful option. I'm sure it was a source of frustration thinking you'd switched to DH/DT though!