How to avoid P-51 D engine overheating

A small tutorial based on my experience on P-51 D Mustang to help new sim pilots with the mustang’s overheating issues.

SET RPM to 2900 Set Manifold Pressure to 49 inHg.

Try to fly the plane without pulling back the stick. If the stick is kept back results in  loosing speed, forces the engine to work under pressure and it leads to overheating.

In my experience the Mustang must be flown as α glider in order to avoid overheating issues. Remember you are flying a WWII airplane and not a jet.

Avoid pushing your engine to the limits. Be patient. Don't use WEP.

WEP should be used in extreme condition mainly to help you shake off your tail a foe and not to pursue one.

You will eventually catch up to him with your engine in good condition.

If you have to follow him up high try to do so for no more than 10''.

The turn from up to dive should be made with rudder aileron if possible.

When leveled if you want to increase speed the engine has no problem with overheating.

Again be patient. Your plane without WEP will eventually catch up with your target.

At the end of the day all that matters is to disable your foe without damaging your plane.

You can find the relative video here.

Edited by chflory
adding tags

You can use your WEP at high altitudes so long as MAP doesnt exceed 62". Ive used it plenty of times over 25k' without so much as an overheat issue. Not recommending it, but the limitation being that a time limit is imposed on your engine when you exceed 62".

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

• 2 weeks later...

To my understanding WEP was not used for hunting but for outrunning a foe on your tail as last resort. Personally I prefer my close turn maneuver which usually leave the foe pilot on my my tail confused and searching for me,

As to the overheating engine issues the final solution is when you spot the coolant temp going near the max limit to set to off position the ignition switch. This will lead to immediate power loss and prevent the engine from overheating. After some seconds set the ignition switch to both magnetos and you are good to go.

For the moment I am experimenting with that both in normal flight and in dogfights and it looks to be working fine.

For example when climbing your speed is lowering down. Between 100 and 50 mph set the ignition switch to off.

Maneuver your plane to turn back towards the ground and then set the ignition switch to both magnetos.

It works.

By the way it is not my discovery. I'm simply replicating what I saw the AI do during a dogfight with a foe P-51 D.

I prepared a small tutorial for whoever is interested here.

Edited by chflory