Best tutorial to fire the Phoenix at long range?

AvgeekJoe

Say I'm having this problem where I'm out at about 50-30 miles from Backfires and I can't get the damn Phoenix missiles to launch on a track.  I press down on the trigger for 3 seconds and no joy.  Is there some kind of in range cue?

I have Master ARM On, HUD in air-to-air mode and the targets in the repeater.  ACM mode doesn't seem to change a thing.  Anything I'm missing besides a big, beautiful launch?

Oh and when the missiles do launch they don't track the inbound Backfires or in other missions JF-15s?

I've thrown together this simplistic "Phoenix Drill" mission and the only time the Phoenix missiles launch is when I'm in close (like less than 15 nm).

Phoenix Drill.miz

Edited by AvgeekJoe

5 hours ago, AvgeekJoe said:

Say I'm having this problem where I'm out at about 50-30 miles from Backfires and I can't get the damn Phoenix missiles to launch on a track.  I press down on the trigger for 3 seconds and no joy.  Is there some kind of in range cue?

I have Master ARM On, HUD in air-to-air mode and the targets in the repeater.  ACM mode doesn't seem to change a thing.  Anything I'm missing besides a big, beautiful launch?

Oh and when the missiles do launch they don't track the inbound Backfires or in other missions JF-15s?

I've thrown together this simplistic "Phoenix Drill" mission and the only time the Phoenix missiles launch is when I'm in close (like less than 15 nm).

Phoenix Drill.miz 12.66 kB · 2 downloads

A track or video would be helpful in determining what's exactly going wrong with your specific employment of the missiles. Make sure you're in TWS or in an STT mode when trying to employ AIM-54s (unless you have the ACM cover up which is just maddogging the AIM-54s out to a range of 10nms). If you're in TWS or STT, you'll see an inverted T on both the VDI and HUD with a range marker on the left of the TID. Maybe I'll run up a video on what I do utilizing your mission or something if you need it.

3 hours ago, AvgeekJoe said:

Well this helps explain my problem - the ranges are so damn much shorter than 100nm or even 50nm:

Those ranges for AIM-54 employment really depend on your speed and altitude and the target's speed and altitude. You can reach out and hit targets up to 100nm still at 30k.

• Like 2

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

21 hours ago, AvgeekJoe said:

I also just asked THE @Mooch on his Happy Hour and yes @IronMike Mooch gives the HeatBlur Phoenix his seal of approval as accurate!

Wish I had time to try out the drill a few times today but busy on Simple Flying stuff.

Glad to hear, but there are a couple things that still need slight adjustment to get it just right, in particular we will review the motors soon.

• Thanks 2

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

1 hour ago, IronMike said:

Glad to hear, but there are a couple things that still need slight adjustment to get it just right, in particular we will review the motors soon.

What changes are in the works for the motors?

And is there any update about the C model / INS? 

3 hours ago, Comstedt86 said:

What changes are in the works for the motors?

And is there any update about the C model / INS? 

We'll have all of that for you guys soon, likely not the coming patch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

4 hours ago, IronMike said:

We'll have all of that for you guys soon, likely not the coming patch.

I can't wait to hear more about this subject soon! With this the AIM-54C might be my go to missile again.

#WaitingFor3rdPartyMissileAPI

• Like 1

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14