Cannot get Mavericks to align with TGP

Waffi
Go to solution Solved by AngryViper.101,

I have followed lots of videos instructions on how to boresight/align the freaking mavericks with my TGP. I have master arm in sim mode, TGP in Auto and WHOT (I have tried Manual too), and Mavs are in PRE mode. I find a taxi light with TGP, TMS up to lock it, works fine, says handing off to mavs but never actually moves the camera, so I slew to the light and lock, press BSGT, then TMS down. Once I do that it just freaking slews to the right again back to the stupid default position and when I've seen others do it it just says in place. Well then I swap to the other rack then try the alignment again. Lock it up, BSGT, TMS down. Once I try and lock a new target with the TPod to see if it worked, it doesnt end up working.

If you're on the ground you're noticing the parallax effect in that the missiles and the TGP are located several feet laterally relative to each other. You should notice that the post-boresighted parallax is larger between station 3 and TGP compared to station 7 and TGP because 7 and TGP are closer together laterally. In reality using a close calibration target will make your calibration "cross eyed". In DCS you get parallel calibration (target at infinity) no matter how you do it. Don't expect post calibration to look perfect against a taxiway sign 2-3kft away. It should be just fine at 3-7nm.

It don't matter that TGP is in auto for boresighting, just that TGP and missile are both point tracking the same target. It should work in all modes but let's be safe here and select EO PRE.

When actually handing off (not boresighting but using it) it's normal and correct that SOI doesn't change to WPN. The primary benefit of handoff is that TGP remains SOI and missile is controlled for you. Be aware that not all missiles can be handed off, the CCD models (H/K) don't do it. Only TGP in IR and missile in IR is supported.

As a technique tip I recommend making the missile track the target first and then TGP tracking what the missile ends up tracking. You can do it either way but since missile is harder to get on target let it be first plus you won't have to fight the automatic handoff behavior.

Edited by Frederf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Solution

Hi

Also, when you boresight.

1. TGP find a targe to lock on, TMS up, notice that TGP locks on by 'snapping' onto the target with a square (box) on TGP 

2. on WPN page, make SOI, slew to same target, TMS up, notice that WPN also 'snaps' onto the target and slightly moves around, BSGT then

3. step with MSL Step button to your other pylon, again (while on WPN page) slew to same target, TMS up, notice that WPN page also 'snaps' onto target, BSGT again

4. Then leave everything as is, return to Nav page, take-off etc.

P.S WPN page must 'snap' / lock to a target before you press BSGT, However, the target does not even have to be the same ... as target that was selected in TGP.

i7-11800H @ 2.30GH | 16Gb 3200MHz | GeForce RTX 3060 | Samsung 1TB SSD | KINGSTON 520GB SSD