AI Multi Crew

TAW-Prof

The Mosquito was designed as a 2 crew aircraft and like the others in DCS (F-14, MI-24, AH-64) it really needs 2 crew members to operate it effectively. However, unlike the others there is no AI second crew member (Nigel the Nav?). Can we have an AI Nav please?

IMHO this would allow the following:

1. Create a route, ideally through the use of the F10 map (as per Viggen & JF-17) but also throught he Mission Editor
  2. Get directions from the Nav to the current waypoint (xxx degrees for yy miles) on the route
  3. Get heading & distance for previous or next waypoint or home base/landing airfield
  4. Change the route (current waypoint) to the previous or next waypoint
  5. Tune the radio
  6. Select beacon for homing

Likewise an AI pilot could be commanded to:

1. Steer heading xxx
  2. Set altitude to yy00 ft
  3. Set speed to zz0 mph

Given the work done on the helicopter copilots I would have thought that it should not be too dificult to port these across to the Mosquito which would make a huge improvement to what is already a great module.

Thanks

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would like to see the navigator’s role improved from both the multiplayer and single player prospective. Just doesn’t seem like this position has developed at all. Maybe add a bomb sight to encourage people to fly together or the ability to use the map to navigate. This role just seems radio only. 

20 hours ago, Skewgear said:

The nav already can use the map to navigate. Press F10 or open the kneeboard.

Now try to plot a course on F10, beyond placing the ruler. Annotating time for dead reckoning? Marking orientation features and check points? Noting DF angle measurements?

I need to be able to plan and plot this ahead, before I drop to 50 feet, because then I cannot mess with F10 beyond brief looks of no more than 2-3 seconds.

These are not even Mosquito specific features, but she needs them more than most.

Edited by Bozon
  • Like 1

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

7 minutes ago, Bozon said:

Now try to plot a course on F10, beyond placing the ruler. Annotating time for dead reckoning? Marking orientation features and check points? Noting DF angle measurements?

I need to be able to plan and plot this ahead, before I drop to 50 feet, because then I cannot mess with F10 beyond brief looks of no more than 2-3 seconds.

These are not even Mosquito specific features, but she needs them more than most.

You can cheat. Use the kneeboard map and mark your position. Key combos provided by default. 

10 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

You can cheat. Use the kneeboard map and mark your position. Key combos provided by default. 

The kneeboard map is very large scale, except around your home base. That “cheat” gives you a rough location when you are lost and may be useful when you fly high or perform an area fighter sweep, but it is not useful to find a point target or a nav point, nor is it at the details level required for NOE flight. This is the equivalent of trying to navigate on a desktop globe.

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!