Orion 2 Throttle Radar Elev Controller (Z-Axis) Not Working

socra823

Hello, I just received my Orion 2 F/A-18 HOTAS yesterday and I was setting it up last night. When I fired up DCS, the radar elevation controller on the throttle was for some reason bound to throttle, and I could move it up and down and I could see that DCS was registering my input. However... as soon as I unbound the radar elev. controller from throttle, I could not get it to work again with any other axis command in DCS. So, I checked Simapp Pro and sure enough it wasn't registering any input from the radar elev. controller (z-axis) at all. I tried literally everything possible-- firmware update, restore default config, unplug and plug back in (both the base and the right throttle itself) and nothing has worked. When I move the axis nothing shows up in Simapp pro or DCS. What's wrong? Any ideas? Did I just get a bad unit? it was working at first.... 

I of course also tried calibrating the axis to no avail. Every single other button on the throttle grip and base works.

Lastly it's important I mention that Simapp Pro displays the z-axis to be stuck in the up position. The blue bar to indicate the axis input value is maxed out, and when I switch the mode from axis to buttons the upper button is always green, no matter what I do with the radar elev. controller. So something seems pretty wrong.

Log a ticket with Winwing

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

yep same problem here, I created a ticket and attached videos @ their request.

Also I don't exactly understand how "switch mode" is suppose to work for throttle controls?

If I switch mode on (say) button 2 (throttle) I can manipulate it with controls on the base which seems weird to me? is that how it's suppose to work? see attached clip.

I can  live with this ^^^ but the Z-axis problem needs to be fixed!

Thanks Joe

Edited by jvandemark

I have the same exact problem. Assembled it, connected it, everything works just fine. Updated the firmware of the handles and the base to the latest through SimAPP and the Z-Axis stopped working at all. I also opened a ticket. Fingers crossed for a quick fix. Was really looking forward to this throttle. For those guys out there with a working Z-Axis, what firmware version are you running on the handle and the base?

Here is my config. 
Apparently I do not have the latest firmware on the base…not saying, that this is the cause of your problems though.

Until I just checked, I actually had the RDR Elevation control set as a switch…so thanks for bringing it to my attention, that I can bind an axis to it. Should make elevation control in the F/A-18 a bit more sensitive. 

Anyways…have you toggled it through the different switch modes? Does it register as a switch?

EDIT: NEver mind my last question...I just realized, you mentioned it in your second post.

F5DB0365-BA04-4408-84A7-AC201893E26C.jpeg

Edited by Phantom711
  • Thanks 1

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png

@jvandemark

This looks weird. Looks as if you have RZ set on multiple buttons. Namely the HMD encoder, the COMMs switch (button 2) and the dialer. 
I do not see any good reason to put an axis (RZ) on the number 2 button.

I believe, that the idea is, that one can bind it to one of the encoders to work as an axis. I might be wrong though.

Edited by Phantom711

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png

2 hours ago, Phantom711 said:

@jvandemark

This looks weird. Looks as if you have RZ set on multiple buttons. Namely the HMD encoder, the COMMs switch (button 2) and the dialer. 
I do not see any good reason to put an axis (RZ) on the number 2 button.

I believe, that the idea is, that one can bind it to one of the encoders to work as an axis. I might be wrong though.

Probably a misunderstanding on my part regarding how "switch mode" is suppose to work. I did some funky things because the z-axis was broken

Edited by jvandemark

vor 41 Minuten schrieb jvandemark:

Probably a misunderstanding on my part regarding how "switch mode" is suppose to work. I did some funky things because the z-axis was broken

When you press on switch mode, apparently it toggles through 3 different ways, the respektive „switch“ works:

1. as button(s)

2. as button(s) and axis

3. as an axis

just make sure it is in the mode you want it to be.

If you can assign RZ to different switches at the same time, then something must be wrong with that version of the software or firmware. At least I get a message, if RZ is already assigned and cannot assign a second switch to it.

image.png

On 7/18/2022 at 7:28 PM, Cathnan said:

I have the same exact problem. Assembled it, connected it, everything works just fine. Updated the firmware of the handles and the base to the latest through SimAPP and the Z-Axis stopped working at all. I also opened a ticket. Fingers crossed for a quick fix. Was really looking forward to this throttle. For those guys out there with a working Z-Axis, what firmware version are you running on the handle and the base?

I'm on fw 1.31 for F18 handle and 1.01 for Orion base 2

I did not performed fw upgrade, all axes are working fine.

SimmApp shows atm that latest fw for upgrade is  1.32 for F18 handle and 1.05 for base

Kowalsky

- "Fox 3" means that you have commitment issues