HMD Question

theoklahomaaviator

So the scenario is that I have a target designated with the ATFLIR.  The HUD shows an accurate point boxed over the target but the same target symbology in the HMD is always way off when I look at it with the helmet.  Am I doing something wrong?  I don’t do the HMD alignment.  Would that help?  Is this normal ops?  Known bug if not?  Thank you!!

Dell Aurora R11, Windows 10 Home 64bit English, Intel i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost), 64GB Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3400MHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB GDDR6, 24” 1080p 144Hz Free-Sync/G-SYNC compatible monitor, 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD.

2 hours ago, razo+r said:

Yes, do the HMD alignement, it should cancel the difference/error that you are experiencing.

Well... alignment is one thing, then there's ED's version of blanking options and symbology overlap and 'jumping' (from HACQ to HUD bore, for instance).  Could very disorienting in the heat of battle. Too much crap and 'duplicate' symbology.

A/G is not that bad. In A/A, sometimes it's better to disable blanking, turn the HUD brightness down making sure you can still see the pitch ladder, missile countdowns, etc.  It's a lot smoother and more intuitive... at least for me it is.

BTW, I use VR and I'm curious if TIR has the same implementation as VR. I would think so.

• Like 1

Make sure you let the INS align properly too.. 

having INS set to IFA and GPS is important. NAV will deteriorate over time. 

and if you're not Hot Starting or Auto Starting.. You must align your HMD. 

Also it's hard for the HMD to keep moving targets perfectly tracked so it won't always be right on jet but a ground target should be fine as long as you align both HMD and INS.

There are other options that I personally use like blanking it out so it overlays the HUD and using the RECCE button to turn it on or off. I also have a slider set for the brightness knob. Set it 80-100km under mids setup. I do wish there was a blank/unblank button to lock it in and out of the hud. but that's for a seperate topic.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply!  I’m happy to report a proper alignment did the trick!  Thank you again!!

Dell Aurora R11, Windows 10 Home 64bit English, Intel i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost), 64GB Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3400MHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB GDDR6, 24” 1080p 144Hz Free-Sync/G-SYNC compatible monitor, 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD.

On 7/26/2022 at 9:19 AM, HoBGoBLiNzx3 said:

Make sure you let the INS align properly too.. 

having INS set to IFA and GPS is important. NAV will deteriorate over time. 

and if you're not Hot Starting or Auto Starting.. You must align your HMD. 

Also it's hard for the HMD to keep moving targets perfectly tracked so it won't always be right on jet but a ground target should be fine as long as you align both HMD and INS.

There are other options that I personally use like blanking it out so it overlays the HUD and using the RECCE button to turn it on or off. I also have a slider set for the brightness knob. Set it 80-100km under mids setup. I do wish there was a blank/unblank button to lock it in and out of the hud. but that's for a seperate topic.

Was unaware you didn't have to align for a hotstart, is this just an observation on your part or can you site other sources?

Was unaware you didn't have to align for a hotstart, is this just an observation on your part or can you site other sources?
It's how it works in DCS. If you spawn in an already started jet, you don't have to align the HMD. It's already aligned, same as the INS, for example.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro