LST question

Keight

The LST/NFLR switch has nothing to do with the targeting pod, it's a legacy switch for the AN/ASQ-173 LST or AN/AAR-50 NAVFLIR pods that would've mounted on station 6.

Early model AN/AAS-38 Nite Hawk targeting pods had no built-in laser spot tracking capability until the -38B, and required the use of a dedicated LST pod.

Edited by Tholozor
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

1 hour ago, Tholozor said:

The LST/NFLR switch has nothing to do with the targeting pod, it's a legacy switch for the AN/ASQ-173 LST or AN/AAR-50 NAVFLIR pods that would've mounted on station 6.

Are you positive? My first thought was that this switch is indeed a leftover from older pods (since the Litening and ATFLIR have all that stuff built-in), but I couldn't find any solid proof in documents I have.

I'm certain, however, that up until recently it behaved like I described above. I rarely use LST, so can't say when exactly ED made this change.

Edited by Minsky

Dima | My DCS uploads

Are you positive? My first thought was that this switch is indeed a leftover from older pods (since the Litening and ATFLIR have all that stuff built-in), but I couldn't find any solid proof in documents I have.
I'm certain, however, that up until recently it behaved like I described above. I rarely use LST, so can't say when exactly ED made this change.
I'm 99% sure that switch was never needed or if it was the case, it was changed very quickly. I don't think I've ever used it myself and I use LST from time to time.

The ATFLIR and LITENING have integrated LST modules, that switch would be used for power delivery to a separate one, as was Tholozor pointed out.
  • Thanks 1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

1 minute ago, Harker said:

I'm 99% sure that switch was never needed or if it was the case, it was changed very quickly. I don't think I've ever used it myself and I use LST from time to time.

The ATFLIR and LITENING have integrated LST modules, that switch would be used for power delivery to a separate one, as was Tholozor pointed out.

Thanks for clarification (and to Tholozor as well), gotta make changes to my notes!

Dima | My DCS uploads