ATC Request Azimuth in Channel Map

Nereid

Ok, I'm a bit puzzled and maybe I'm doing something wrong. But as far as I remember if one contacts ATC and requests for azimuth, ATC gives the course to the airfield.

On The Channel map (I did not test other maps so far), I'm in a Mosquito over Hunton SWS from Maidstone and I'm contacting Headcorn ATC requesting for azimuth. On the map my course to the airfield is about 120 but ATC responds with 201!?

???

BTW: Some of the airfields identifies itself as "Kresnodar" (not everytime), but this seems to be a bug.

DCS:A-10C / DCS:Ka-50 / DCS:UH-1H / DCS:Mig21bis / DCS:P-51D / DCS:Mi-8MTV2 / DCS:Fw190D9 / DCS:Bf109K4 / DCS:C-101EB / DCS:L-39C / DCS:F-5E / DCS:Spitfire LF Mk. IX / DCS:AJS37

11 hours ago, Nereid said:

Ok, I'm a bit puzzled and maybe I'm doing something wrong. But as far as I remember if one contacts ATC and requests for azimuth, ATC gives the course to the airfield.

No, you don't get the azimuth to the airfield. But to the where to start your landing from, to the runway. Don't remember the correct name for this. "Initial point"? 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

4 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

No, you don't get the azimuth to the airfield. But to the where to start your landing from, to the runway. Don't remember the correct name for this. "Initial point"? 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

But unless you're pretty close to the runway, that shouldn't be a big difference in heading, should it? I mean 120 - 201 is quite a gap? I haven't checked on the map, but it feels too much of a difference.

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

59 minutes ago, Hiob said:

But unless you're pretty close to the runway, that shouldn't be a big difference in heading, should it? I mean 120 - 201 is quite a gap? I haven't checked on the map, but it feels too much of a difference.

That is true. Have mener tried it on the channel map. 

But it should put you 10-12 miles from the runway, right? 

I have no clue. Navigation is probably the aviation asset, I'm least proficient in. 🙈

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

35 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

But it should put you 10-12 miles from the runway, right? 

This is a bit far away for WWII aircraft, isn't it?

1 hour ago, MAXsenna said:

It seems they changed it. I didn't used this for quite a while near the runway. in modern aircrafts it is more or less not necessary but in WWII planes navigating is kind of a struggle. 😉

On WWII maps it's a bit of a problem, because the airfields are hard to see sometimes. It seems the best way would be to call an "inbound", calculate the flight time and look in the direction of the RWY. But on 10 miles you won't see some airfields.

Hunton is about 9 miles away from Headcorn, so the initial point if 10 miles away is somewhat south.

Is the  bug that one airfield identifies itself as "Kresnodar" already known?

Edited by Nereid
  • Like 1

DCS:A-10C / DCS:Ka-50 / DCS:UH-1H / DCS:Mig21bis / DCS:P-51D / DCS:Mi-8MTV2 / DCS:Fw190D9 / DCS:Bf109K4 / DCS:C-101EB / DCS:L-39C / DCS:F-5E / DCS:Spitfire LF Mk. IX / DCS:AJS37

2 minutes ago, Nereid said:

This is a bit far away for WWII aircraft, isn't it?

It seems they changed it. I didn't used this for quite a while near the runway. in modern aircrafts it is more or less not necessary but in WWII planes navigating is kind of a struggle. 😉

On WWII maps it's a bit of a problem, because the airfields are hard to see sometimes. It seems the best way would be to call an "inbound", calculate the flight time and look in the direction of the RWY. But on 10 miles you won't see some airfields.

Hunton is about 9 miles away from Headcorn, so the initial point if 10 miles away is somewhat south.

Oh, you're probably right. But I have no clue if it's coded differently for the various maps.

2 minutes ago, Nereid said:

Is the  bug that one airfield identifies itself as "Kresnodar" already known?

There was a bug earlier, if you flew a mission on the Caucasus map first, then on another map. The ATC would be screwed and Caucasian ATC would replace the correct map ones. Hope it's not back.

Cheers!

2 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

There was a bug earlier, if you flew a mission on the Caucasus map first, then on another map. The ATC would be screwed and Caucasian ATC would replace the correct map ones. Hope it's not back.

That would explain why it doesn't happen all the time. But it seems that just a single airfield is affected by this (Lympne as far as I remember).

• Like 1