Castle class is extremely smokey

twistking

The castle class boats produce a large amount of smoke. For me it seems excessive for two relatively small diesel engines from the 80s.

In fact, i would have expected them to have no visible smoke at all when cruising.

I think the Leander-class were oil-fired, so smoke seems reasonable. In DCS the castle-class however produces thicker smoke than the leander-class, which just seems wrong.

Is this the right place to report problems with the assets, or should these go in the main dcs bug section to object bugs?

• Like 2

Agreed, though to be honest it goes for pretty much all of them:

Here's an image of Leeds Castle underway, I can't see any smoke at all:

navyleedscastleb.jpg

Here a small amount of smoke is visible:

202105011610020.P-258-Leeds-Castle-20060

While the Leanders are indeed oil fired, they don't seem to produce visible smoke either (here is Ariadne):

9140575463039e9552b9834def3bf209.jpg

Here's Achilles:

50608589396_db349ac56a_b.jpg

The Invincible-class is COGAG, again very little smoke:

R05-HMS-Invincible-004.jpg

Though depending on weather conditions/throttle settings, it can appear more smoky (but not the thick black stuff we see in DCS, EDIT: This might be running diesel generators as the ship appears stopped):

large_000000.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

These the show it underway:

Invincible-at-sea-1024x806.jpg

HMS_Invincible_(R05)_Dragon_Hammer_90.jp

Edited by Northstar98
Updated
  • Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Hot Take: Since in DCS the smoke cannot change depending on state of the vessel (anchoring, accelerating, cruising, full speed), it may be best to make it more like the other ships in DCS (can't remember if the diesel and gas turbine powered ships don't smoke at all or only smoke very faintly) and leave the dark smoke for the Kuznetzov...

22russia-web-jumbo.jpg?quality=75&auto=w

Holy Cow!

Edited by twistking
  • Like 3