Communication menu issue

markturner1960

Hi, just started flying the mighty Tomcat and have an issue gettin g the comms menu up.....On most other modules there is a radio transmit keybind for each radio ( UHF & VHF) that all calls the radio menu....not so the Tomcat it appears. 

Si I am trying to bind "Communications menu" to another key - which I can do fine in the controls options, however, when I press the assigned key in game, no menu appears. 

I have checked in my other modules ( F18 & F5) and while they all have a combined transmit and call radio menu command, I have the same issue whereby just calling the comms menu using a bound button WONT bring the menu up - the only way is to use the combined call button.

The F16 however, despite having a combined radio call / Transmit command, does enable me to get the comms menu up from a separate bound button.

Is this a Tomcat thing ? Obviously it only affects me in the Tomcat as in all the other jets I can get the menu up using the transmit / call radio menu key.

In the Tomcat, I am stuck with being unable to access it! 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Hey Mark, it does come up , but i find on UK keyboards (certainly on mine) i have to map it by pressing the "\" key which is seemingly  read as OEM102

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Hi mate, thanks, but in my case, no matter what key I bind the menu to, or what button press, it wont appear in game......

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

In the game's Options/Special/F-14 section, make note of that drop-down menu and see if some of those options are maybe in need of investigating.

Also note that SRS will get involved and can mess this up until its all configured right.  I have unfucked this situation a number of times, whenever doing a reinstall or something, and like me, you will eventually configure it correctly, and run it for years until you completely forget how you solved it, and then rinse and repeat... good luck

• Like 1

@Whistler_RIO Out of curiosity, sincere question, how would SRS interfere with the keybinds for Communication menu (ground "\") and the two radios (UHF "RAlt + \", VHF "RCtrl + \"?

@markturner1960 It's named differently in the Tomcat module. Note, that backslash "\" won't work in the air, as that simulates shouting to the ground crew through an open canopy. Whenever you're in anew module, just press "RAlt + \", and radio "1" should pop into view.
I assume you don't use VAICOM and have menus hidden.

Cheers!

null

image.png

Hi Max, OK< that makes sense regarding the comms menu. However, why wont the radio menu appear then when I key the switch? Here are my bindings:

Screen_220908_202553.png

And how would I bind my controls etc so that the radio menu appears when I press the transmit key? Or failing that, how do I make the radio menu appear? 

Thanks!

Edited by markturner1960

43a3a5d46f55f60615738fcdaeb78b3a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, markturner1960 said:

43a3a5d46f55f60615738fcdaeb78b3a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's wierd. It doesn't open when you either press the buttons or key combo? 

Check under special like Whistler suggested, and set the top drop down to default. 

And yeah, print screen doesn't work in the controls settings. 😊 

Is use SnagIT, but Snipping Tool or Snip & Sketch should be available as free tools in Windows. 😉

Hi, no, it does not appear when I press either of the radio buttons I have bound, or the actual keyboard keys assigned to those. So for example, I can’t refuel, as after getting jester to tune the radio, when I key that, no menu appears to select the “intent to refuel” & ready pre contact

from my screen grab, do I have the correct keys bound ? What keys do you use? 

There’s nothing obvious in the special menu that I see is wrong either…..

Edited by markturner1960

No, they seem perfectly fine. You're only having issues in the Tomcat? 

Time for a full slow repair? Might be worth it as this is strange. 

To be honest, I use VAICOM, plugin for VoiceAttack, which communicates directly with DCS without using any keybinds. I'll check the keybinds to see if they bring up the menu for me. Was going to do AAR practice with the cat now anyway. 😉 I'll get back to you later. 

Cheers! 

Well, it the keyboard keybinds work for me without trouble.
Joystick buttons was a little hit and miss. But that's probably due to VAICOM, and you're really not supposed to bind them anyway. And I got the same results in the Hornet.

I use Norwegian keyboard layout, as it seems DCS can handle it, in Windows. But it's not Norwegian in the game obviously. Never had an issue though.

Edited by MAXsenna

Thanks for checking, yes it only affects the Hornet, as this module is the only one that does not have a keybind for the Radio transmit, that also brings up the comms menu......

My install is only a few weeks old , I did a fresh one very recently, so am loathe to go through that again........

Hopefully one of the Devs etc might know more and can comment......

I used to use voice attack but on this new PC, have not had time to install and get it all set up yet again. Although, if there is an underlying issue preventing the comms menu appearing, making it voice activated wont help until the issue is identified and remedied....

EDIT, just found the below on Hoggit, interesting:

By comms menu I assume you mean the menu that comes up to talk to ground crew and various other things. The default should be "/" Note that the tomcat has an additional comms menu for the secondary radio in the backseat. I believe the default bind is "control+/" but I could be mistaken. This is needed for some servers such as hoggit because the pilot radio does not go to a low enough frequency to talk to the carrier or anything that is lower than 225.000 mhz. Double check the binding for F-14 Pilot. The sub menu should be titled communication. If you're referring to the radio push to talk keybinds I use the one that says (SRS) at the end. You also need two binding for the push to talk radio to be able to use the backseat radio. I believe they are titled ARC 152 radio (SRS) and ARC 182 (SRS)

I take that to mean that as Pilot, you cant use frequencies lower than stated....in which case, whats the procedure? 

There is also a dropdown menu in the F14 Specials section regarding Radio menu behaviour _ I have the following option selected: Open Menu: Radio menu key followed by PTT (SRS Priority) 

The other options are Default, Hide radio menu on PTT release, Dont use default PTT buttons for SRS

How are yours set? 

Edited by markturner1960

OK, I have solved it!!! 

Its the special menu setting that is the issue.......to make the menu appear when I key the radio transmit button, you need to have the drop down selected for "Dont use default PTT buttons for SRS"

Whio would guess? Not sure how this will affect my SRS operation yet though......

It would be good if the functionalty etc of these settings is explained somewhere easily to avoid such situations for users..........

Thanks for all advice!

Edited by markturner1960
  • Like 1

Yes, I looked at the settings when Whistler pointed that out , but mistakenly thought I had selected the correct one. The one I have selected currently that makes the menu appear, looks like it may give issues with SRS, but currently thats secondary......Good call Whistler and thanks!

Cant see how to mark his post as solution though.....?

Edited by markturner1960
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

Cant see how to mark his post as solution though.....?

Edited 2 hours ago by markturner1960

Right, maybe not possible in this forum? 

Click the 3 dots to the top right of his post, and see what options you have. Just a wild guess. 🤷🏼‍♂️