HARM SP- Air to Air

I have missile launch assigned to the second stage of the trigger and weapon launch assigned to the first stage. This conflicts with HARM in SP mode when I'm in Air to Air mode. Is there a way to nullify unintentional weapon throws in air-to-air mode? When I am in close proximity to a SAM site, the Harms unintentionally detach, even if I am on the opposite heading.

That‘s the whole point of the self protect mode. If you assign it that way you have to deal with pressing the pickle button.

Solution 1: deactivate the HARM or put it into another mode

Solution 2: assign your hardware properly.

Edit: you could turn the trigger assignment around… trigger first stage, pickle second stage. Should work.. 

Edited by Ephedrin
  • Like 1

hace 22 minutos, Ephedrin dijo:

That‘s the whole point of the self protect mode. If you assign it that way you have to deal with pressing the pickle button.

Solution 1: deactivate the HARM or put it into another mode

Solution 2: assign your hardware properly.

Edit: you could turn the trigger assignment around… trigger first stage, pickle second stage. Should work.. 

Thank you, yes, I tried inverting the triggers, but for CCIP mode I find the first stage more precise, since the double action has a greater travel. I would prefer to disable the Harms, the self-protection mode, but I don't know the procedure.

Unfortunately I don't have full fidelity hardware and I don't have enough buttons available within reach of my thumb.

Last point first: what stick do you use? I don‘t know many that have a double trigger except the expensive sticks and they all have a pickle button. 

regarding the missile(s): A2A missiles won‘t launch if you‘re in A/G master mode so if you want to drop bombs or launch the HARM (intentionally) you don‘t have to fear an Amraam or Sidewinder to go off. At the same time when you‘re in A/A the only weapon that can be started with the pickle button is the HARM in SP or override mode. I‘m not even sure atm if the HARM should start if it‘s only in SP but with the override button boxed while in A2A. I always turn the override off for that reason but I‘m usuall using PB or TOO with that weapon. With it off you can be in A2A mode and hit the pickle button to shoot the HARM at a ground station that attacks you. 

What you can definitely do is make sure that when you enter the stores page that the HARM at the top is not boxed so it‘s turned off. Nothing will (should) happen then regardless of the missile‘s mode and your master mode. 

Inexplicably the self-protection mode is active regardless of the settings on the stores page. I have tried everything and in the middle of Air-Air combat, with SA-10 emitting a signal, I am launching HARMS into the void.

I'm using Gladiator NXT and pickle has the lock/unlock feature for me. It's a feature I need to have within thumb's reach because I'm using it most of the time. Being able to disable self-protection mode would be ideal.

On 9/14/2022 at 9:55 AM, Tholozor said:

HARM is always in SP mode in A/A master mode. This is by design to allow the aircraft to self-protect without having to switch modes.

I assume you have some 'docs'.  Can you confirm couple of things? 

1 - Shouldn't we also see 'SP HARM OVRD' on AZ/EL page (legacy Hornets circa early 2000 's)?

2 - If OVRD is not boxed. Is EW page supposed to pop up on RDDI when pullback condition kicks in?

There are few other 'things' I wouldn't mind verifying but... for now I'd settle for these 2. 

I also noticed one positive change after the latest OB (not 100% verified yet).   The threats get prioritized correctly in SP mode now.  I tested this only twice on 1 mission, will do some more tonight.

Oh, the last thing:   In the situation described by OP,  I assume the ground radar had a lock on his jet, otherwise the HARM wouldn't be able to launch (in PBLK from A/A mode).

Another quick question just popped up:   Currently, there is no SP OVRD from A/A (AZ/EL).  Regardless of initial SP OVRD setup in other modes, A/A disregards it and HARM (if loaded) is always ready to fire when PBLK kicks in.  Is this correct?

I reversed the triggers to avoid the conflict. I no longer go through weapon launch to launch a missile. I'll have to get used to the new setup. My trigger to throw bombs in CCIP now has more hardness and more travel, so I will lose accuracy.