KA50 trim with a non-centring cyclic

edmuss
Go to solution Solved by GrEaSeLiTeNiN,

I've just added some axis dampers to my warthog stick so that it behaves correctly as a cyclic, the stick holds wherever you leave it. I've set the options to be a spring less non FFB stick and it behaves as expected in the sim.

The stick is now really quite heavy (guessing about 3-4 kg force) but with the dampers it makes the shark really easy to keep stable, even with all autopilot channels off. You just need to preempt any full deflection stick movements and allow an extra fraction of a second to force the dampers through (or put much more force into the stick).

My question is, does the trim/trim reset button in the real KA50 exist or is it a workaround by ED to account for centring joysticks? Should I still be pressing and holding the trim button whilst manoeuvring with the cyclic?

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

• Solution
3 hours ago, edmuss said:

I've just added some axis dampers to my warthog stick so that it behaves correctly as a cyclic, the stick holds wherever you leave it. I've set the options to be a spring less non FFB stick and it behaves as expected in the sim.

The stick is now really quite heavy (guessing about 3-4 kg force) but with the dampers it makes the shark really easy to keep stable, even with all autopilot channels off. You just need to preempt any full deflection stick movements and allow an extra fraction of a second to force the dampers through (or put much more force into the stick).

My question is, does the trim/trim reset button in the real KA50 exist or is it a workaround by ED to account for centring joysticks? Should I still be pressing and holding the trim button whilst manoeuvring with the cyclic?

Have a look at this, though it is for the Mi-24P.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

Perfect!

I would make the assumption that the shark would follow the hind control philosophy. I'll obviously not get the return to trim centre action with a FFB base but my 20 quid damper rig up is a lot cheaper 😁

In other words I should keep pressing the trim button as per before but now there's no requirement to return the stick to centre.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

Definitely trim. Releasing trim sets the new target parameters for your Bank, Pitch and Hold altitude channels - so unless you're flying around purely with Flight Director or AP channels off, then do trim. Otherwise It'll always be correcting your flight path to some old setting from when it was last trimmed and it'll seem like it has a mind of it's own.

• Like 1

For Black Shark tutorials, visit my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-LgdvOGP3SSNUGVN95b8Bw

11 minutes ago, Volk. said:

Definitely trim. Releasing trim sets the new target parameters for your Bank, Pitch and Hold altitude channels - so unless you're flying around purely with Flight Director or AP channels off, then do trim. Otherwise It'll always be correcting your flight path to some old setting from when it was last trimmed and it'll seem like it has a mind of it's own.

That was what I figured as well, it's a whole different animal to fly with the dampers on.  Still got to tweak a few bits and pieces as the damping is possibly a little heavy right now, also when pitching down because the dampers are so stiff it tends to lift the gimbal ball on the warthog which gives some rather interesting inputs 😄

Simple enough to counter, just need to apply a little downward force on the stick as well as forward.