Engine updates

nightlynx

Sorry if this has been answered already..

I'm concerned over the engine and future updates to the DCS series of modules. I keep seeing posts relating to Black Shark about things not modeled as of yet because of current engine limitations. I want to know if the new engine that's coming down the road is going to be provided to those of us with Black Shark and if it'll be free to upgrade to it, or if it'll be like a re-release that we'd have to pay for again.

or if it'll be like a re-release that we'd have to pay for again

I sure hope not, and i don't expect it to be really. Why all the effort in developing DCS:BS and create a new engine and sell it as a new sim?

Only time will tell..

stevie

I'm guessing that future content expansions will come along with slight improvements to the engine/non-content. Most games do this and few keep their base-content customers patched to the level enjoyed by the customers that just recently gave them money.

I would hope that they adopt the idea that all versions of the game can play together in multiplayer space and are kept up to date with all fixes and such improvements but simply restrict use of additional content to the customers of that content.

It has :-)

E.D.'s stated position - pretty much from the announcement that BS would be a stand alone product - has been that a new engine is in development and will arrive with a future module.

They've also said (& I haven't seen them take it back) that as upgrades are made & released with each module, people with existing modules will be able to update their own module to the extent that they will maintain compatability with the newest release.

players will only have access to those modules that they have purchased, but all module owners will have access to the same engine/upgrades & be able to go online & play "together".

This - I think - with the intention of having the community remain homogenous as modules arrive & avoiding the rift that happened between the LO/FC & BS communities.

Cheers.

Whats the problem with paying for an upgrade if a lot more work has gone into it? The current engine is perfectly OK and that is what we have paid for....

BC

I'm not saying I wouldn't be willing to pay for the upgrade if it adds in new features I want. The issue I have is that there a things currently in this version of Black Shark that have obviously been set up as if they were going to use the new engine (like the shkval and windshield wipers, they look cool but what is the point if the glass never gets dirty unless you're role playing you don't need to use them) I also read in a post that currently the ins does not accumulate error yet we have the option of fixing it but it does nothing (maybe that's a patch and not an engine issue). This isn't meant to be a rant, I just want to know what to expect later as more modules are released.