4090 - CPU advise

So I upgraded to a 4090, yes it is a gamechanger for vr, and yes it doesn’t solve all your fps problems.

But finally it isn’t my gpu anymore that is bottlenecking the whole system. So I am thinking of upgrading my cpu. I currently have an older i9 9900 on a 1551 mobo with ddr4 memory.

I just don’t want to upgrade (as I have to buy a new mobo and memory (ddr5) as well) for a few fps. Maybe it’s better to wait for the new generation of amd cards releasing beginning next year or the multi thread optimization that will solve all world problems or probably just a few non – problems we have.

Any thoughts would be appreciated   

The most cost effective option would be AMD 5800X3D (recently they had a price cut), a decent B550 AM4 motherboard, and keep the current DDR4 ram. 

With other platforms like the latest Intel or AMD AM5, you'll be spending almost twice the money for very little gains over 5800X3D. 

• Like 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Note that 5800X and 5800X3D are not the same CPUs. You want the latter. 

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

7 hours ago, some1 said:

Note that 5800X and 5800X3D are not the same CPUs. You want the latter. 

This! Really important! 

5800X is absouloutly not the same as the 5800X3D. 

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

i bought the x3d. Thanks for pointing out. Installed everything yesterday and did a clean windows install.

90 fps on high settings in jet's is now doable. around 68 avarge for heli's in low level city flying (syria).

GPU is not even sweating so with vulkan support we would finally find VR heaven.

Tested with a Valve index.

• Thanks 1