Starting the client in Server mode stops with error in log -upd : NO ISSUE

Flighter

upd : to see the issue you need to have lua hook in Scrpts/Hooks

Starting with (from log):

2022-11-04 18:16:05.132 INFO    APP (Main): Command line: "C:\\bin\\DCS World OpenBeta\\bin\\DCS.exe" --server --norender

2022-11-04 18:16:05.132 INFO    APP (Main): DCS/2.8.0.32235 (x86_64; Windows NT 10.0.18363)
2022-11-04 18:16:05.132 INFO    APP (Main): Application revision: 212235
2022-11-04 18:16:05.132 INFO    APP (Main): Renderer revision: 23593
2022-11-04 18:16:05.132 INFO    APP (Main): Terrain revision: 23613

Ends with :

Dispatcher (Main): Error starting dedicated server: can't open 'MissionEditor/loadUserScripts.lua'

We use the client installation as server because we only use the Caucasus map (smaller install)

Edited by Flighter

JUSTDOGFIGHT server - For Nickname reservation, stats, server map, instructions and other content visit our site justdogfight.com

🙂 Smile 🙂

On 11/4/2022 at 7:45 PM, Flighter said:

Starting with (from log):

2022-11-04 18:16:05.132 INFO    APP (Main): Command line: "C:\\bin\\DCS World OpenBeta\\bin\\DCS.exe" --server --norender

2022-11-04 18:16:05.132 INFO    APP (Main): DCS/2.8.0.32235 (x86_64; Windows NT 10.0.18363)
2022-11-04 18:16:05.132 INFO    APP (Main): Application revision: 212235
2022-11-04 18:16:05.132 INFO    APP (Main): Renderer revision: 23593
2022-11-04 18:16:05.132 INFO    APP (Main): Terrain revision: 23613

Ends with :

Dispatcher (Main): Error starting dedicated server: can't open 'MissionEditor/loadUserScripts.lua'

We use the client installation as server because we only use the Caucasus map (smaller install)

Just tested on my client installation, with the current OB 2.8.0.32235.1 and it works as expected.
You can try to run a server with a different working directory to see if there are some spurious settings that prevent the server load.

DCS.exe --server --norender -w test_server

where test_server it will be the name of new server folder under saved games.

If it's still not working, make a full repair of the client and check the windows permission of the file itself.

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

Hi Maverick.

Thanks for the response.

The issue arises if you have any script in the Scipts/hooks folder.  Our 3 servers have been in operation for 5 years non stop and this update is the first one with this issue. And we have seen issues over the years....

We have about 2000 lines of code implementing the on-line and game functionality of our server.

Test it if you can and let me know.

Thanks

PS. I have tried all common fixes. Also standalone and server version behaves the same.

JUSTDOGFIGHT server - For Nickname reservation, stats, server map, instructions and other content visit our site justdogfight.com

🙂 Smile 🙂

• Flighter changed the title to Starting the client in Server mode stops with error in log -upd : also standalone
On 11/10/2022 at 4:53 PM, Flighter said:

Hi Maverick.

Thanks for the response.

The issue arises if you have any script in the Scipts/hooks folder.  Our 3 servers have been in operation for 5 years non stop and this update is the first one with this issue. And we have seen issues over the years....

We have about 2000 lines of code implementing the on-line and game functionality of our server.

Test it if you can and let me know.

Thanks

PS. I have tried all common fixes. Also standalone and server version behaves the same.

it looks like you have some error in your custom code, because scripts inside Scripts/hooks works fine.
We're running DATIS, SRS-autoconnect, SimpleSlotBlocking and Slmod from that folder without any issues, on both dedicated server and full client installation that run as server.

Take a closer look at DCS.log and see if you can identify what is preventing your server to start normally.

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Maverick

I am not sure what it is but we have worked around the issue by creating the required file (loadUserScripts.lua) and leaving it empty.

Our hooks file has been the same for years. It even works on our stable server that is on 2.7 .

Anyway thanks and best regards.

🙂 Smile 🙂

11 hours ago, Flighter said:

Hi Maverick

I am not sure what it is but we have worked around the issue by creating the required file (loadUserScripts.lua) and leaving it empty.

Our hooks file has been the same for years. It even works on our stable server that is on 2.7 .

Anyway thanks and best regards.

You can use external tools and search inside all lua files (*.lua) if any of them contains the "loadUserScripts.lua" word ( yeah on windows we need dedicated apps for that, while in linux you can use buil-in commands )

I did it on my dedicated server and full client installation, and nothing found, so it's must be something related to your custom setup, scripts, mods, etc.

• Thanks 1

Very interesting tool, always nice to learn of such utilities. I am using Notpad++'s "find in files".

Regarding our issue, the problem was using the MissionEditor/dedicatedServerGUI.lua file from version 2.7.

So problem identified and solved.

Many thanks

Edited by Flighter

🙂 Smile 🙂

• Flighter changed the title to Starting the client in Server mode stops with error in log -upd : NO ISSUE