RTX 3090 low performance

goliat26

38 minutes ago, goliat26 said:

Hmm if you can, you can post screen with your settings and make FPS test in the same airplane, the same map, the same ramp and the same weather as me.

Can only really compare if you are using the A10 as that is the only fixed wing module I currently own.

38 minutes ago, goliat26 said:

Btw... With settings when i have 60+ FPS i still see big stuttering of buildings when i fly on low altitude. Is it normal (without motion reprojection ofc).

Resolution can be set either on the desktop app or overridden in the toolkit, makes no difference in the end but can affect how different apps behave. It's better to set the override in the toolkit.

If you're running the headset at 90hz then anything below 90fps will result in stuttering, particularly down low. The reason I run 60hz is that above 60fps it's perfectly smooth because I'm beating refresh rate.

As long as I'm above 60fps I don't care what performance I'm getting, however I aim for about 13ms typical appGPU frametime because that generally gives enough headroom to keep it above 60fps (<16.6ms). Note that this is SP only so I'm not considering the performance lost by connecting to a server and the CPU getting dragged into oblivion by AI scripts.

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Ok so we can make test with A10A airplane (if you have it :)). Or any other airplane include free SU-25T.

My Windows settings (in Polish but i hope you know what is it):
Windows.png

OpenXR settings at this moment:
OpenXR.png

OpenXR Toolkit settings:
OpenXRTool.png

DCS settings:
DCS.png
Then make mission in mission creator.
Map: Marianas
Airport: Antonio B. Won Pat Intl
Start position: Takeoff from ramp. Ramp number 1
Airplane: A-10A
Mission.png
Time and weather:
TimeWeather.png

Can you repeat all of this and let me know what FPS you get?
I get 50-55 FPS looking ahead in airplane.
FPS_1.png

Those graphics settings are rather... interesting

You're running Shadows on high which incur a ginormous GPU/CPU penalty in VR - but then chose to turn off terrain shadows and cockpit illumination altogether. Try with low first and enable some of the other settings
CIV Traffic can be turned off if you want to claw back a little bit of CPU
Water can be turned down to medium as well
Res of cockpit 1024 - you stare at these all the time
If you want to claw back even more performance you can keep MSAA and try turning off AF from x16 to even 0 - 2.8 has an impact for many on this setting for some reason
You can now also experiment with turning on Terrain Shadows and Cockpit illumination

You can also try clamping 45FPS in your OpenXR Toolkit Settings

Edited by nikoel

In the A10C (don't have the A) I'm getting just shy of 60fps with the mission setup you suggested (cold and dark on ramp 1 at Antonio B. Won Pat Intl). 

OpenComposite_DCS_20221204_170645_R.jpg

But Marianas is a dog for performance so I would reduce some settings accordingly 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

The settings are greyed out because I'm in the cockpit, you can't alter those settings with the sim running.  Preload radius of 100 because there's little need to preload things now with SSD transfer speeds, I've never seen any negative from running low preload but it reduces mission load times slightly.

For reference, the 3090 should be about 5% faster than the 3080ti but that could well be negated by GPU tuning.  My gpu core clock speed is aroun 2050mhz with DCS running, if your GPU is only boosting to say 1800mhz then that will be a fair defecit.

The same settings below on syria in the huey, 8.9ms is 112fps 🙂

OpenComposite_DCS_20221204_173056_R.jpg

2 hours ago, nikoel said:

Those graphics settings are rather... interesting

You're running Shadows on high which incur a ginormous GPU/CPU penalty in VR - but then chose to turn off terrain shadows and cockpit illumination altogether. Try with low first and enable some of the other settings
CIV Traffic can be turned off if you want to claw back a little bit of CPU
Water can be turned down to medium as well
Res of cockpit 1024 - you stare at these all the time
If you want to claw back even more performance you can keep MSAA and try turning off AF from x16 to even 0 - 2.8 has an impact for many on this setting for some reason
You can now also experiment with turning on Terrain Shadows and Cockpit illumination

You can also try clamping 45FPS in your OpenXR Toolkit Settings

Some of them were on my suggestion, the terrain shadows off is because they're unfortunately currently broken so cockpit shadow can be increased with the headroom gained.  I've never run cockpit illumination either so that's just my default setting, I've never seen any difference between on and off (that's not to say there isn't some though!).  Cockpit screens at 1024 are a little crisper but I've noticed a fairly significant hit with 1024, 512 is an acceptable compromise for now 🙂

2 hours ago, edmuss said:

In the A10C (don't have the A) I'm getting just shy of 60fps with the mission setup you suggested (cold and dark on ramp 1 at Antonio B. Won Pat Intl). 

With the same settings as you pasted i have ~54FPS with Mixed reality preview (to make screenshot of OpenXR toolkit fps counter).
FPS_2.png
But i dont know why you have better times on CPU 😄 (and GPU heh...). Are you using steam version of game or stand alone? And has it impact on FPS... ?
Without Mixed reality preview FPS jumps between 55 and 60 (only this 2 values heh).
One more think, you have more VRAM used. 7.8GB vs only 6.1GB in my case.

Meaby i need to try back to Windows 10? I dont know...
Meaby can you post me hmm your NVidia settings or any other settings you change to get this framerate?

Edited by goliat26

If you use the openxr toolkit screenshot function then it will show the performance overlay and the in-game toolkit menus as well.

It could just be I have better thermals so I get consistently higher boost clocks on both CPU and GPU. The increased VRAM usage on my system could possibly be due to nvcpl settings, I think mine are actually completely default at the moment.

I'm on standalone latest open beta. I do have Taz's improved trees mod installed for Caucasus, Syria and Marianas, it's possible that they absorb a bit more VRAM.

I also have process lasso which forces DCS onto the fastest core and memcleaner keeps the ram usage down. Neither of these should significantly affect FPS though.

Run gpuZ and log the sensors whilst you're flying, make note of the GPU core clock, temperatures and perfcap reason. Similarly log the CPU clock speeds and temperatures with hwinfo or similar. It might be you're simply not running at such high frequencies.

I started logs before start game in GPUZ and hwinfo then i start the game and make mission as another tests (the same settings). Again i got 55-60 fps while waiting on airport ramp...
Max temp of GPU was 67 celcius, max GPU memory temperature was 80 celcius. Max CPU temperature was 65 celctius. Memory speed was all time the same and core speed was most time at 1950-1965.

I have water cooled CPU and triple fan GPU in good air flow case so i dont think that temperatures its problem.

Lol i dont know why but now i was testing one more think and i see very visible flickering. When i change Windows settings to 90Hz its gone but i dont saw it before...

Edited by goliat26