Cockpit dimensions from a real F-4 Phantom

Diesel_Thunder

I had some requests from some sim pit builders who've commented on my Youtube channel, asking for dimensions and measurements on the F-4 Phantom that I get to help maintain. I have yet to find any dimensional drawings in our Tech Manual library, and I've not been able to source any documentation or drawings online. So this past Saturday I got out a tape measure and a notepad and just started measuring. The ejection seats have been taken out, giving me a better opportunity to get good measurements.

Below are measurements from the front cockpit, plus photos for those who want to extrapolate other measurements. The first post will be for the cockpit only. The second post will be measurements from a real Martin Baker Mk 7 ejection seat, U.S. Air Force version. If there is interest in the rear cockpit I will get those measurements too. If there are other measurements or photos that I could get, please ask below.

All measurements are in inches.

Canopy:

Canopy Bow width (inside arch) - 26 1/2"

Canopy Bow height - 18"

Canopy Rail length - 40"

Canopy Rail height to floor (forward edge) - 29 1/2"

Canopy Rail height to floor (aft edge) - 35"

Instrument Panel
Floor to bottom edge of instrument panel - 18"

Floor to top edge of glare shield - 39"

Aft wall to instrument panel - 43 1/2" (this varies as the aft wall is canted vertically to the rear)

Bottom edge of instrument panel to highest upper corner - 15 1/2"

Altimeter gauge width - 3 1/2"

VSI gauge width - 2 3/8"

Round engine gauge width - 2"

Consoles:

Center console width (top edge) - 10 3/4"

Master caution and warning panel height (tallest edge) - 7 1/2"

Side console width, forward end - 11"

Side console width, aft end - 14 1/2"

Side console height, forward inboard - 16"

Side console height, forward outboard - 18"

Side console height, aft inboard - 11 1/4"

Side console height, aft outboard - 14" (approximate, was hard to get a good read with this one)

Width between left and right console - 22 3/4"

Controls:

Stick height (floor to top of stick) - 25 1/2"

Throttle handle height (in full aft position) - 5 3/4"

Throttle handle width, combined (left and right, excluding switches) - 4 3/4"

Throttle handle width, single (excludes switches) 2 1/8"

Emergency brake pull handle, L x W - 3" x 1/2"

Drag Chute handle length - 8 1/2"

IMG_1969.JPG

IMG_2942.JPG

IMG_1875.JPG

IMG_1978.JPG

Edited by Diesel_Thunder
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

Martin Baker Mk 7, USAF version:

Seat Pan width - 21"

Seat back to forward most corner - 23"

Seat pan width at side pull handle - 21"

Seat pan depth (fore to aft) - 25 1/2"

Seat pan to top of seat - 42"

Bottom of seat to top of seat - 47 1/2

Seat cushion depth (fore to aft) - 18"

Main chute bucket width (widest point) - 17"

Face curtain handle width - 12 1/2"

IMG_2951.JPG

IMG_2950.JPG

IMG_2952.JPG

IMG_2954.JPG

IMG_2949.JPG

IMG_2955.JPG

IMG_2957.JPG

Edited by Diesel_Thunder
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

• Diesel_Thunder changed the title to Cockpit dimensions from a real F-4 Phantom
  • 2 months later...

Yes, the original panels of a Phantom were backlit. As far as I remember, their lights had a slightly red colour.

Regards, Vinc

Edited by Vinc_Vega
  • Like 1

Regards, Vinc

real life: Royal Bavarian Airforce

online: VJS-GermanKnights.de

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2023 at 5:03 PM, Biggus said:

Thanks for that!  Sounds somewhat similar to the Tomcat.

Before night vision goggles, most of these would be backlit in red as that color impacts your natural night vision the least. Our D model still has the red lights.

Interestingly in the Tomcat's life, when the crews started getting more air to ground missions, and then got NVG's, the cockpit lighting had to get changed from red to green to be NVG compatible.

Edited by Diesel_Thunder
  • Like 2

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

@Diesel_Thunder, you've been enormously helpful.  I've got yet another request, with absolutely zero sense of urgency about it:  Could you please get some images of the assembly with the flaps switch?  Thanks to your pictures in the other thread, I've got plenty to work with now.  It is massively appreciated.

On 3/5/2023 at 1:17 AM, Biggus said:

@Diesel_Thunder, you've been enormously helpful.  I've got yet another request, with absolutely zero sense of urgency about it:  Could you please get some images of the assembly with the flaps switch?  Thanks to your pictures in the other thread, I've got plenty to work with now.  It is massively appreciated.

Just a heads up, the flaps position switch is a 3-pos switch with it being up-half-down. The red light surrounded by yellow and black caution walls is the ejection light, it’s a button that the pilot presses to alert the WSO that they’re going to eject. 

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

hey Diesel thunder, thanks a ton dude! A request for a measurement, how long is the outboard panel next to the throttles?
pilot_outboard_engine_control.jpg
this one in the HB manual. i'm looking for the fore to aft length specifically. 🙂

512th Virtual Tac. Ftr. Sqn. - The Dragons