A2A Refueling - getting there sloooooowly :)

lwalter

After many years, I'm still not able to do A2A refueling.

The best I could get was the endless "return pre-contact".... until yesterday, when I finally got a "cleared for contact".

Getting closer and probably too excited about this new milestone, I managed to get my A-10 nose plugged into something for refueling.... but not the right place I guess 🙂 Maybe someday, I'll get it right.

null

image.jpeg

• Like 2

iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, i7 4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, AMD R9 M395X 4 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Cougar MFD | MFG Crosswind | EDTracker Pro | Realteus ForceFeel

DCS World | Bf109 | Fw190 A8/D9 | P47 | P51 | Spitfire | I16 | C101 | L39 | F86F | MiG15 | MiG19 | MiG21 | FC3 | A10C | AJS37 | AV8BNA | F5 | F14 | F16 | F/A18 | M2000 | JF17 | Christen Eagle | Yak52 | SA342 | UH1H | Mi8 | Ka50 | Combined Arms | NS430 | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Channel | Syria | NTTR | WWII Assets

Keep calm and carry on… 👍

• Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

On 12/19/2022 at 9:34 PM, lwalter said:

After many years, I'm still not able to do A2A refueling.

The best I could get was the endless "return pre-contact".... until yesterday, when I finally got a "cleared for contact".

Getting closer and probably too excited about this new milestone, I managed to get my A-10 nose plugged into something for refueling.... but not the right place I guess 🙂 Maybe someday, I'll get it right.

Don't stress about the fuelling part - just practice flying in close formation first until you feel like you can control your position smoothly.

Then the refuelling part is just choosing the right position (watch the fuselage/engines, don't focus on the boom).

Good luck!

On 12/19/2022 at 1:34 PM, lwalter said:

After many years, I'm still not able to do A2A refueling. Maybe someday, I'll get it right.

The F-16 (don't know about other aircraft) cheats a bit by changing stick input curves when the refuel door opens and sets this back to default when it closes.
I didn't know about this and found out the hard way because i always backed off a bit after refueling, rolled 180° upside down and then pulled the stick to make a half loop. Sometimes i could not manage that loop and i would crash into the ground until i found out that the stick input changed with the refuel door open. With the door open, i was not able to make the half loop, with the door closed i even had plenty of room left. It was a bit of an A HA moment.
Also, if you're using a standard Warthog stick base, friction could be a bit of problem for precise movement.

Since i use Target Script for my stick profiles and since it's possible to change axis behavior with the script, i added the same principle for each of my aircraft profiles, making controlling the airplane a lot easier when refueling. I also set a LED to let me see in what axis state i'm in for in case i should forget. For the moment i have 3 curves.
You could also integrate this at the same time with open/close of the refuel door/probe.

SEQ(  Change stick axis behaviour - open the sequence
        CHAIN(
            EXEC( // curve 1
                "SetSCurve(&Joystick, JOYX, 0, 0, 0, 2, 0); SetSCurve(&Joystick, JOYY, 0, 0, 0, 2, 0);"
            ),
            LED(&Throttle, LED_ONOFF, LED_CURRENT+LED2),
            LED(&Throttle, LED_ONOFF, LED_CURRENT-LED4)
            ),
        CHAIN(
            EXEC( // curve 2
                "SetSCurve(&Joystick, JOYX, 0, 0, 0, 4, 0); SetSCurve(&Joystick, JOYY, 0, 0, 0, 4, 0);"
            ),
            LED(&Throttle, LED_ONOFF, LED_CURRENT+LED4),
            LED(&Throttle, LED_ONOFF, LED_CURRENT-LED2)
            ),
        CHAIN(
            EXEC( // reset to normal
                "SetSCurve(&Joystick, JOYX, 0, 0, 0 ,0, 0); SetSCurve(&Joystick, JOYY, 0, 0, 0 ,0, 0);"
            ),
            LED(&Throttle, LED_ONOFF, LED_CURRENT-LED2),
            LED(&Throttle, LED_ONOFF, LED_CURRENT-LED4)
        )), //close the Sequence

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!