BS3 MWS

ppokit

Currently very much enjoying the BS3. Its a great module and a good improvement on the BS2.

Quick question regarding the missile warning system. Should the MWS alert the pilot to nearby rocket launches as well as missiles? Do the rocket motors in both missiles & rockets emit the same UV/IR signature?

Thanks!

Not exactly an answer, but perhaps an indication...

In my case MWS raised a false alarm claiming that a burning target I had shot a minute before was a threat. I mean... I THINK it was a burning target as I was flying my own weapon employment training mission where there are no such threats in the vicinity of where it happened. There are only a few ZU-23 there and they don't lase anybody or fire missiles. No MANPADS, no nothing, just empty ground, grass and some grasshoppers. Oh, and Natasha didn't say a word before I destroyed that first ZU-23. This happened numerous times when I flew the mission over and over again in the last couple of days.

Judging from this, I imagine MWS can panic as well when a rocket is fired. Is this realistic, how different for the MWS is a small motor on a small rocket as opposed to a big motor on a big missile - I've no idea, but I guess they're more similar to each other than to a truck in flames.

Wait a minute... now when I'm thinking about it... maybe MWS complained about a threat (burning truck) only at the very moment when it exploded, not when it was just burning? I'll try to pinpoint it next time I play the mission.

Edited by scoobie

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

MWS can't tell how friendly or unfriendly a motor rocket on a missile is, so yes, MWS will happily bark at friendly missiles, too. That's why (among other reasons) pilots call out "Rifle" etc. over the radio.
You may try and bind "ODS operation mode" to your joystick or whatever handy you've got. When your buddies are spamming missiles, switch to down (standby) position, then back up again. Perhaps that would work for you.

As for no warning from S-8 rockets (sorry, didn't get you @ppokit) - my guess is as good as yours, no idea if/how this particular MWS should react. Maybe someone else can chime in

• Like 1

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

An IR source is an IR source. It matters not whether it is a burning truck or a gas explosion or a rocket motor.

If the source is within the FoV of the sensor, and occurs suddenly, then I'd imagine that is enough to trigger the system.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

On 1/4/2023 at 12:29 PM, ppokit said:

That’s what I was thinking, but the system as modelled seems highly selective by only activating when a missile is launched and not activating when a rocket is fired.

Current WIP limitation or modelled feature?

I would think it’s about the coding saying “look for any [MISSILE] within 20 km radius”

• Like 1

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

As above, it probably needs to look for missiles AND rockets. Really, it should see any rocket motor source. It's seekers that determine if it is looking at IR or UV, but AFAIK rocket motor output is entirely dependent upon chemistry and they all emit IR. Not sure about the UV component.

Edited by Tiger-II

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."