Reverb G2 error 7-14

Dragon1-1

Anyone have an idea how to fix that one? I have the old V1 cable, but it worked fine until I swapped the motherboard out. Now it doesn't. Is there any way of fixing that without buying a ridiculously overpriced new cable, or switching to another headset? Sadly, it's out of warranty.

1. update your bios

2. if that doesn't help, try different usb port

3. if that doesn't help, try downgrading PCIE from 4.0 to 3.0 in BIOS, and try different USB ports again

4. If that doesn't help, maybe external USB hub will. 

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

There's not PCIE 4.0 on this mobo, but I'll try a BIOS update. I already tried different ports. Might try a hub if that doesn't work.

EDIT: Bios is already at the latest version. So I guess I'm stuck trying a USB hub or an expansion card.

Edited by Dragon1-1

Definitely try reinstalling SteamVR.  Not Steam, just SteamVR.

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

4 hours ago, Slammin said:

Definitely try reinstalling SteamVR.  Not Steam, just SteamVR.

Won't help, because it's not installed in first place. I'm running OpenXR, and uninstalled SteamVR to fix some problem I had with it.

5 hours ago, despinoza said:

i feel you have an AMD mobo, a PCIe USB 3.0 or up card will resolve your issue. That´s what i did before HP send me the new cable.

Thanks, I'll definitely try that. Yes, AMD with Ryzen 5800X3D, bought specifically for VR. Talk about Murphy's law.

Hi, which chipset is the mb ?

Try in any case asking the new version of cable, I have couple of friends here in Switzerland with a cable problem and hp changed it even with the expired warranty.

Try to uninstall windows mixed reality and start from beginning.

OK, I guess I'll call HP next monday, thanks for the headsup. The chipset is B450, an old one, but I'm on a budget, and it does what I want (AM4, PCIE 3.0, more than one M.2). Aorus Elite V2, the mobo itself is great, but it has just this one little problem.

"Luckily", I've got the time. My old cooling solution that I wanted to keep on this rig turned out to run hot with the 5800X3D. I'm using a Corsair H45, so it should be enough, but I've got an issue with mounting hardware and it's impossible to source a replacement for the mount (not without buying another cooler, anyway), so I'm currently waiting to see if I can get a good deal for a H100i, which should hopefully be quieter, too.

5800X3D tend to run hot due to construction. It's not that the CPU produces much heat, but rather the extra cache acts as an insulator. Temps in the range of ~80 degrees when gaming and hitting 90 with Cinebench are nothing uncommon, though it depends on the particular unit and motherboard combination. Some people get much better temps even on the same hardware, it's a lottery. 

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

So, what should it be running at under load, assuming adequate cooling? I had my warning set by default on 80 degrees, it seems it throttles above 90. So maybe I can bump it up and try MW5 again. Will definitely keep that in mind when I run some more tests. It wasn't cheap, so I guess I was treating it with kid gloves a bit, especially since I had those mounting problems with the cooler. It hits about 50-60 degrees even when just browsing the internet. Maybe that's just how it is, I came over from the 4770k ran a whole lot cooler.

Either way, the USB card is due on monday. We'll see how the cooler holds up under a real load, although since I currently can hear it over my noise-cancelling headphones, I'd say the cooling solution is due for an upgrade, anyway. If it feels like heating up, OK, but let's not wake the whole house just because I started up VR.

Edited by Dragon1-1

My 5800x3D idles at ambient +10, typically about 32°C, in cinebenchR23 gets to 75 and in DCS between 65 and 75.

This is with a 25mv undervolt set by pbo2tuner and a thermalright truespirit 140.

Mine starts to throttle at 77°C, if it stays below that then it stays pegged at the full 4.45ghz.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

1 hour ago, edmuss said:

This is with a 25mv undervolt

Which is apples to oranges comparison. This drops the temperatures by 10-15C. 

Edited by some1

But everyone should be undervolting their 5800x3D, which is my point; undervolt and the temps stay good as long as your cooling is adequate🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

You forgot to explain that in the previous post. Dropping numbers like that without explanation might as well suggest OP that there's something wrong with his PC or cooling.

Edited by some1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, edmuss said:

But everyone should be undervolting their 5800x3D, which is my point; undervolt and the temps stay good as long as your cooling is adequate🙂

Thanks for the reminder.  I'm giving my grandson an older machine I have that has a 3950 and I am picking up a 5800x3d in the morning to replace it.  I'm actually considering getting one to replace my 5950 but I just can't seem to get my head around that swap!

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

9 hours ago, some1 said:

You forgot to explain that in the previous post. Dropping numbers like that without explanation might as well suggest OP that there's something wrong with his PC or cooling.

On top of that, Truespirit 140 is an air cooler, while the H45 is an AIO water loop. Luckily for me, this is not my first rodeo, and I know perfectly well that this means my 5800X3D is running pretty much nominal. 🙂 I'm not undervolting it at the moment, I'll give it a thought, but later on when I get the headset working. If set the cooler to max RPM on both the pump and the fan it cools it to about 43 degrees at idle. 

I can throw the numbers around all day, but ultimately what I need to know if it'll throttle while flying or not. That, I'll hopefully find out on monday.

21 ore fa, Dragon1-1 ha scritto:

OK, I guess I'll call HP next monday, thanks for the headsup. The chipset is B450, an old one, but I'm on a budget, and it does what I want (AM4, PCIE 3.0, more than one M.2). Aorus Elite V2, the mobo itself is great, but it has just this one little problem.

"Luckily", I've got the time. My old cooling solution that I wanted to keep on this rig turned out to run hot with the 5800X3D. I'm using a Corsair H45, so it should be enough, but I've got an issue with mounting hardware and it's impossible to source a replacement for the mount (not without buying another cooler, anyway), so I'm currently waiting to see if I can get a good deal for a H100i, which should hopefully be quieter, too.

B450 is perfect for the G2 since the beginning, I remember a lot of people with different chipset have a lot of problems.

I have the B450 too and is going very well, so if you did:

- Reinstalled windows mixed reality

- Push well inside the connector inside the VR

-Changed different port, with an adaptor maybe on a separate USB dock self powered

Then I think the cable was gone, I have the G2 and just asked HP a new cable, they sent me in 2 days but it was still in warranty.

Stupid question, did you tried the visor on another PC ?

Read the thread. It worked fine on another mobo. All your other questions have already been answered. It's not that the cable is broken, it's that it's badly designed, and it doesn't work with some configurations. 

EDIT: Attempts to reinstall WMR fail with the same error when it asks for the headset to be connected. The only thing I haven't tried is trying a different USB controller, but as explained upthread, it's on order.

Edited by Dragon1-1

12 minutes ago, X_legio said:

What was  wrong ?

That is strange because you have exactly my config, B450 and 5800X3D.... 0 problems from the beginning

The V1 cable doesn't work on some AMD chipsets. Most external/add-on USB controllers use a standard ASROCK controller, which the V1 cable does work with.

You likely have the V2 cable, which fixes this (particular) issue,

Well, you were lucky, I guess, because in my case, that's clearly not what happened. Initially I used an Asrock mobo, so the issue didn't manifest itself until the headset was out of warranty. I'll ask HP for a replacement, but I'm not sure if that'll help. 

BTW, the advice to reinstall WMR was rather unhelpful, in that it's now got annoying music in the cliffhouse I can't seem to get rid of. I muted WMR audio, so that's not a problem for now, but before I used to have sounds without the music.

Edited by Dragon1-1

36 minutes ago, X_legio said:

nope the B450 was always full compatible with the G2, I have had the v1 cable version for months, changed only because I have read on internet that is prone to broke because the power supply is too weak.

My G2 with the V1 cable would only work one single USB A port on my B450 motherboard, only through an adaptor and then it was hit and miss if it would connect immediately. V2 cable, no issues at all and it's running perfectly on the USB C port.

I'd say you got lucky or the configuration of the motherboards USB power supply was able to keep the signal strong enough 🙂