Horizontal Situation Indicator (HSI)

anthonye

I have been trying to use the "Desired heading" on the HSI. I have clicked the DH/DTA source switch to manual so I can set the Desired heading (DH) index to a bearing that I want. Does the autopilot follow this course on autopilot like in a light aircraft (fs2004 etc). I have read through the function of the HSI pages 2.17 on, and through the autopilot section without any luck.

Am I getting the wrong idea about this for just flying at a set course, I am not setting any waypoints in a flight plan. All I want to do is let the autopilot follow the set course on the "Desired heading" that I have set.

Could someone put me right on how to do this, if it is possible to do.

Thanks

Anthony

DH/DT switch works only with a flight planned and selected waypoint.

With ROUTE mode on, DH will tell autopilot to head to selected waypoint directly, DT will tell him to follow the flight plan (f.e. it will enter the course from WP0 to WP1, and turn to WP1).

If you want the autopilot to follow heading only, all you need is to have all 3 default autopilot channels on (HDG channel is required here). Flight Director OFF. Turn the a/c to desired heading, stay there for a while manually, press and release the trim button, releasing the trim will save your new hdg in autopilot's memory. EASY :)

Read this thread - it is the best read on the forums regarding autopilot modes ever - better print it:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=36246

EDIT: Printable version here attached (I made it using MS Word, but I take no credit!)

The Black Shark Auto Flight Control System.doc

Edited by Shaman

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

DH/DT switch works only with a flight planned and selected waypoint.

With ROUTE mode on, DH will tell autopilot to head to selected waypoint directly, DT will tell him to follow the flight plan (f.e. it will enter the course from WP0 to WP1, and turn to WP1).

If you want the autopilot to follow heading only, all you need is to have all 3 default autopilot channels on (HDG channel is required here). Flight Director OFF. Turn the a/c to desired heading, stay there for a while manually, press and release the trim button, releasing the trim will save your new hdg in autopilot's memory. EASY :)

quote]

I have been doing what you say and it works fine that way. What you are saying then is that the "Desired heading" adjustment only works if you have waypoints of a flightplan selected, and if no flightplan is loaded, the "Desired heading" switch is not enabled.

I thought it was like the HSI in FS where you would put the autopilot on, select heading mode, then turn the "Desired heading" bug and the aircraft would follow it to the heading you have set.

Thanks for the help

Anthony

Flip the switch just to the right of the HSI, then turn the heading bug :) I think that's correct.. (at work)..

No, that does not work, I tried that from the start. I don't think the function even works so wondering why the heading bug is even there.

Anthony

No, that does not work, I tried that from the start. I don't think the function even works so wondering why the heading bug is even there.

Anthony

hmm.. Thats very odd, for me it works fine, I think.. Admittadly I've not used it for a while but I am certain I've turned the heading bug and seen it spin around.

I'll try this tonight and post back tomorrow when I get back to work.. :)

• 1 year later...

Just to be sure:

It is not possible to set a certain heading with the knobs of the HSI (HSI set to manual DH/DTA) and the auto pilot (Route Mode) will follow this heading automatically if I change the needle with those knobs.

Is that correct?

And what about this feature in real life? Is this possible in RL?

DCS Rafale - please :thumbup:

If you want to just follow a heading, make sure that no point is selected on the PVI-800, and turn on Route mode. The autopilot will follow your last trimmed course. If you want to follow a new heading, just press and release the trimmer at the new heading. But if you have a point selected on the PVI-800, Route mode will go to that point instead.