First stage trigger behaviour

RuskyV
Go to solution Solved by Floyd1212,

I’ve noticed that when pulling the first stage weapon trigger as the pilot, the cyclic control seems to loose a lot of authority in both pitch and roll.

Having the control indicator called up I noticed that the movement was reduced by quite a bit, this can be tested without arming the helicopter or selecting weapons. A simple pull of the trigger and controls almost freeze.

is this behaviour intentional?

Not having any issues here….most probably a wrong keybind, I‘d guess…

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

Ok an update on the above.

The new realsimulator device tool now has a precision `option` mode (something new to me) that can be configured as a percentage of the total force available. This is activated by the first detent trigger and can be used for many things.

This is not an ED issue at all but a rather nifty feature of the R3 lightning that can be used for precision movement of the joystick.

Thanks for all the help 🙂

Edited by RuskyV

Measuring force instead of positioning has a distinct advantage when it comes to muscle memory, when I want to roll or pitch I know how much I need to lean on that force.

For me personally it allows more accuracy and is easy from module to module to get used to, helicopters are amazing with a force sensitive stick as you can adjust the pressure in lbs to achieve the desired amount of accuracy with minimal use of curves and saturation per axis.

an analogy would be using the brake pedal in your car, you know how hard to push it in order to stop at a given speed, if this was purely used on a position basis you wouldn’t get any consistency in braking.

I love it and would by another one at the drop of a hat if anything should go wrong with mine.

• Thanks 1

I can see how that would feel natural on a fighter jet, where the aircraft is going to go straight when you are not applying force to the stick.  But with a helo, to keep the aircraft flying forward your cyclic stays forward, and when you bank you move the stick to the side, and when you want to level out again, you bring the stick back to center, not in the opposite direction.

I guess once you have given up on having a true cyclic with mag brakes to hold the position of the stick for you, you might as well do whatever makes life easy, even if it isn't an authentic feel.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Floyd1212 said:

I guess once you have given up on having a true cyclic with mag brakes to hold the position of the stick for you, you might as well do whatever makes life easy, even if it isn't an authentic feel.

Pretty much, it’s more of a compromise really when wanting to use other modules with my setup.

The only thing I occasionally adjust is the pressure to help prevent any wild oscillations, this is important as different modules react differently to stick movements, some fast some slow. Getting the right balance per module is key to not induce any unwanted over correction resulting in a reactive feeling rather than being pro-active if that makes any sense.

Edited by RuskyV