Hornet's nose authority :D

oldcrusty

I finally jumped off the fence and updated to the new OB.  While everyone is anxiously watching frame times and bottlenecks, the first thing I checked is the Hornet's behavior...   I would encourage all Hornet fans to check out the new pitch authority and it looks like perhaps some yaw oscillations dampening got better?  I only flew for few minutes and didn't have a chance to run it through the grinder yet.

Oh yes, I did notice steady 180 fps on a pancake screen over Beirut (everything maxed, no MSAA) :biggrin:    Next step... VR,  tomorrow.

Edited by oldcrusty
spelling

2 hours ago, BarTzi said:

Was it an undocumented change?  I can't find it in the changelog.

No, it wasn't documented.  I was just shooting my mouth, hehe.  To me, it does seem like there is a slight difference in FM.  I just finished some BFM setups and I also noticed that I was able to control my energy a bit better in a spiral dive with full blowers.  Previously, I had a tendency to let the a/s build up rapidly in the same situations, even with full boards and w/o AB.

It could be just me, after being away from simming for over a month.

I can make a bet the mods would say no changes had been done to FM...  

I haven't noticed any FM changes personally, but I only did one test.

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

i have been spending more time flying the f-16, but i went back to the f-18 today for the first time since the update and it seemed like the f-18 doesnt carry as much speed as it used to.  it could be because it has more nose authority allowing it to pull a higher aoa, thus bleeding more speed.

every update i find changes that are not in the change log, i dont know if there is to many changes to list or that they sneak changes in so they can keep plausible deniability.

Edited by DukeAngus

I take back my previous, I did a bunch of dogfights the other day, and while I can't definitively point to anything objectively since I don't have previous version test reports (and CBA to revert my version to create them), it does feel to both me and the guy I was dogfighting with that something is different in the F-18. Possibly better G Onset is my best guess.

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

TBH, I'm not so sure anymore, after switching back to ST DCS.  Initially, when I flew the Hornet using MT.exe, the onset of G/AOA did seem faster. I don't think the FM is different in MT version :confused:.  Well, next time before I decide to run my mouth, it'll be after setting up more rigorous testing scheme.  Perhaps it's time to play a test pilot for a change. 

1 minute ago, Dragon1-1 said:

It might be that it feels better due to higher FPS. Subjective feelings might be affected by that, MT feels a lot smoother and has a more consistent framerate, so perhaps you're just able to control the jet better.

Coud be. I had to 'downgrade' to ST version because of some annoying glitches in MT. 

2 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

It might be that it feels better due to higher FPS. Subjective feelings might be affected by that, MT feels a lot smoother and has a more consistent framerate, so perhaps you're just able to control the jet better.

Could definitely just be this

1A100.png?format=1500w  

3 hours ago, TheFreshPrince said:

I tried to replay an old dogfight trackfile from the last version and it's now corrupt, so something must have changed I guess.

Yeah, a lot of things have changed that could break a trackfile. Seriously, those are so damn brittle they're hardly worth using, except for bug reports (and even then weirdness can ensue). Trackfiles are broken by much lesser updates on a regular basis.