Which extension for TM Warthog stick, and where to place the stick

Mik75

Hi there!

I just got my TM Warthog yesterday. After flying with a Saitek X55 for years, this feels like heaven. So precise and it just feels like the real deal. 

I love flying helis (I use XP12 exclusively for heli flying, had the spring removed in the X55 for it), and that's where the Warthog doesn't shine (in my opinion). I want to buy an extension for it. (Made by "Sahaj"). But I'm not sure, which one to get (7,5, 10, 15 or 20cm). It would be nice to have an extension which results in a practical compromise for flying helis AND A10C, F16 and Warbirds with one stick. Which length would you recommend for that? Plus, right now, the stick is placed on my desk. But with an extension, the height would be too much, and I'd need to place the stick somewhere else, preferably somewhere between my legs. (😅)

Where and how could I mount my stick to have a ergonomical position for it?

Thanks a lot in advance for any input. 

Edited by Mik75

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Greets,

Michael

• Mik75 changed the title to Which extension for TM Warthog stick, and where to place the stick

I hate to say it but you need the Virpil CM3 base only with the drag clutches, you can mount your TM sticks on it without adapters. Adjust the clutches and the stick will stay where you put it.... just like a helo stick. The only thing I do not like about VPC is there is no GUI programming like TARGET, so you need two different software programs (Joy2key, Joystick Gremlin etc) if you want to immulate keystrokes for games limited to 32 dx commands like IL2. I use TARGET SCRIPT for DCS and TARGET GUI for IL2. I do use a BlackHog button box I program with joy2key and run along side TARGET. So you should be able as well.

• Like 2

Sempre Fortis

50 minutes ago, _Hoss said:

I hate to say it but you need the Virpil CM3 base only with the drag clutches, you can mount your TM sticks on it without adapters. Adjust the clutches and the stick will stay where you put it.... just like a helo stick. The only thing I do not like about VPC is there is no GUI programming like TARGET, so you need two different software programs (Joy2key, Joystick Gremlin etc) if you want to immulate keystrokes for games limited to 32 dx commands like IL2. I use TARGET SCRIPT for DCS and TARGET GUI for IL2. I do use a BlackHog button box I program with joy2key and run along side TARGET. So you should be able as well.

Ok. Thanks a lot! And how's the height with that base? Will I still be able to use the stick on my desk? 

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Greets,

Michael

2 hours ago, _Hoss said:

No idea, I use Monstertech table mounts.

Ok, thanks. It's a pretty expensive base. But it looks really well engineered and promising. Do you use it for every kind of aircraft?

Edit: And these tablemounts by Monstertech look awesome. They're exactly what I was looking for! Thx a ton! 😀👍

Edited by Mik75
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Greets,

Michael

18 hours ago, Mik75 said:

Ok. Thanks a lot! And how's the height with that base? Will I still be able to use the stick on my desk? 

You could use it on the desk with no extension (although it does not come with a plate for desktop use) but you really won't be getting the full benefit. You want at least a 10cm extension, ideally a 20cm for helicopter use. That will require a mount that positions the base well below the level of your chair. Monstertech, virpil and others make mounts. They're also not difficult to make yourself.

To give you an idea of size, this is my CM2 (which is roughly the same size) with a 10cm extension. The alu extrusion is 80x40mm (DIY mounting setup).

Second pic shows a warthog base for scale.

PXL_20230407_114259850.jpg

PXL_20230407_114447005.jpg

Edited by Scott-S6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scott-S6 said:

You could use it on the desk with no extension (although it does not come with a plate for desktop use) but you really won't be getting the full benefit. You want at least a 10cm extension, ideally a 20cm for helicopter use. That will require a mount that positions the base well below the level of your chair. Monstertech, virpil and others make mounts. They're also not difficult to make yourself.

To give you an idea of size, this is my CM2 (which is roughly the same size) with a 10cm extension. The alu extrusion is 80x40mm (DIY mounting setup).

Second pic shows a warthog base for scale.

PXL_20230407_114259850.jpg

PXL_20230407_114447005.jpg

Wow, that looks super cool! Does your base support adjustable friction? 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Greets,

Michael

13 minutes ago, Mik75 said:

Wow, that looks super cool! Does your base support adjustable friction? 

No, I have the CM2. It's basically the same thing but without the clutches - I only dabble with helicopters.

Edited by Scott-S6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scott-S6 said:

No, I have the CM2. It's basically the same thing but without the clutches - I only dabble with helicopters.

Ok, I see. That's what causes the price difference, right?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Greets,

Michael