Rounds fall short

nikoel

Hey Team

When fighting smaller bandits (Mig 21) I noticed that I need to place the crosshair in front of the bandit's path for rounds to hit. Placing the pipper over the bandit directly always makes the rounds fall behind them

This is not as much of an issue with a Flanker as the aircraft is much larger, but the same issue can be seen to lesser extent, ie aiming for the pilots head, hitting the engines

There have been some issues with one of ED's planes too (F/A-18), but others are unaffected for me

Playing in VR Only. Open Beta. MT, OpenXR

Track file attached. I tried demonstrating this by firing both ways several times. (Default Gulf Map Lion and the Sun)

F14.trk

Edited by nikoel
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Silhou said:

Hey @nikoel! Thank you for reporting. Tracked it as DCSF14-421 internally for the team to look at.

Here is a quick demo I shot today (it's a different track) I tried to get both high and low aspect shots. Both with reticle on target and shots on target (with reticle in front). We are not talking a lot here, but just enough to miss (*Most of the shots missed because of my <profanity>ty aim and flying, but this cant be helped)

It will take a little while to get to 4K quality. But I hope it will assist

All the best

Edited by nikoel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep, and the issue is still there.

• Like 2

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

People there cluttered the thread with a lot of talk about system inacurracy and errors, but that's not the root of the problem. Heatblur's gunsight is consistently inaccurate in a turn fight, 100% of the time it points to the wrong place in the sky, always behind. Yeah, if the target is big enough or doesn't pull g's, then you may still hit it despite aiming short.

The diamond (BATR cue) is more accurate than the gun cross, but it only shows once you start shooting.

Edited by some1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

On 4/25/2023 at 1:59 PM, Silhou said:

@nikoelthank you very much! It's greatly appreciated. Added this to the report 🙂

@Silhou Silhou, please kindly add the track and material from @Some1 to that bug report, because he actually tested the pipper calculationin a very controlled environment, with constant target G and closure. See his original bug report:

Kind regards,

Snappy

Edited by Snappy

I've noticed this even with unloaded gun tracks. Say a bandit is burning rubber in a straight line just ahead of you and you actually need to aim the cross a bit higher to hit it. I always thought it was a feature though, and not a bug, so i tend to naturally aim a bit ahead then the reticle says. More pronounced the farther the target is. 

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

On 4/27/2023 at 12:07 PM, Snappy said:

@Silhou Silhou, please kindly add the track and material from @Some1 to that bug report, because he actually tested the pipper calculationin a very controlled environment, with constant target G and closure. See his original bug report:

Kind regards,

Snappy

Hey! I've already did, thank you 😌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2023 at 9:39 PM, Silhou said:

Hey! I've already did, thank you 😌

Hey Silhou

Has a look at the change-log and couldn't see any mention of A2A Gunnery; is this is still under investigation?

On 4/28/2023 at 12:40 AM, captain_dalan said:

I've noticed this even with unloaded gun tracks. Say a bandit is burning rubber in a straight line just ahead of you and you actually need to aim the cross a bit higher to hit it. I always thought it was a feature though, and not a bug, so i tend to naturally aim a bit ahead then the reticle says. More pronounced the farther the target is. 

same here, iv always noticed it and just thought it was how the gunsight was in the tomcat lol 

• Like 1

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, nikoel said:

Hey Silhou

Just wanted to quickly check in with you about this

Hey @nikoel. I'll check in with the team about it. But if it were implemented, you would see it in the changelog. So the problem is probably still being investigated. Thank you for the heads-up and sorry for the inconvenience 😔