51 refresher after a couple years... questions/misremembering?

pchRage

Haven't been in the 51 in years, last time I flew it for any length of time was when the new DM / xray system came out....

Anyways...  saw a couple things and was hoping all you dedicated pony drivers could clarify.

1. Engine temp mgmt.  I believe a read that it got an overhaul after the p47 modelling was complete.  Seems to overheat just as easily, but it cools down a tad faster than before when holding the oil door open...  havent bricked an engine so seems better (havent tried auto-death WEP yet though)
  2. Xray DM.  Such new cool fx, especially to pilot injury!  I remember the only way to take down a 109/190 was to saw off a wing, anything centerline would just absorb the hits.   Could NOT shoot off a wing no matter how many rounds/convergence/etc.  Even the 51 seemed to take enormous damage and still limp around
  3. Stall horn.  Maybe I am misremembering... but I get zero stall light/horn.  Shake/buffet is only sign before the dreaded left wing stall.  When using the rear RWR, it alerts just fine.  Is there a switch or something new required for the stall horn?  I tried both left wing stalls, as well as just idle and climb wings-level to stall... nothing!
  4. AOA at 20deg seems to auto-induce left wing stall, regardless of speed or horiz/vertical plane of motion... hit what appears to be a magic 20deg and snap!
  5. Ammo belts.  The '44 Strafing seems the ideal choice with API and API-T... but honestly.. i didnt see anything special when hitting.. maybe a hit caused a fuel leak, maybe i saw dark smoke (oil).. but the "I" in API didnt seem to do anything...
  6. Sad Face: pilot green jumper / no convergence settings

Any insight appreciated!

I don't recall any stall horn in the Pony, maybe you're confusing it with the lowered flaps/idle engine with no gear down horn? That's still there of course.

• Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Welcome back!

Re.1 - Nah, can't quite agree. I find the plane "non-overheatable" now actually - take a look at related discussion on the last page of this thread:

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/72932-dcs-p-51d-questions/page/32/#comments

Although I admit I haven't tried doing anything stupid like going full power at 180 mph and haven't tested WEP either.

Re.3 - As ManOWar pointed above, Mustang never had a stall horn - not in this sim at least!

Re.4 - Sounds about right as per principle with airfoils stalling roughly around one critical AoA irrespectively of Reynolds numbers, and laminar airfoild having somewhat bitchy stall characteristics. I would also expect left wing stalls to be more frequent than right wing ones because of the prop, but I've got no opinion on the 20 degrees value - this number is useless in combat anyway 😉 

Re.6 - Convergence is a dead horse subject (and rightfully so in my subjective opinion), but yeah, would be cool to finally get rid of modern pilot model & textures for good!

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Wing drop during a stall is really an indication that one wing stalled more than the other, probably due to unwanted slip. I suspect you could probably use some more right rudder to mitigate the wing drop a bit (but the real solution is to not pull so hard). It's a neat experiment to pay attention to the ball and to try stalling with it left, center, and then right, to see how the wings behave in terms of roll moments generated.

• Like 1