Probe passing through basket

Pyrocumulous

I've been learning the AV8B this weekend, so this may totally not be new behavior, but it's different than I'm used to with the Hornet. I can connect, and I can stay connected, but it seems like the probe has to remain perfectly aligned or else the probe passes right through the basket. The first time it happened, I held in formation for several minutes wondering why refueling wasn't complete when I glanced over to see that the probe was half in the basket. So, not sure it's a bug, but doesn't look right to me. Difficult for me to fly and capture a good screenshot, and the track log is worthless because the aircraft don't align the same in replay.

Edit: this is apparently a long-term issue since 2018 that is listed as resolved but it's not (or potentially has re-emerged):

Here's a photo of the probe slipping out of basket:

DCS World_20230521_122044_L.png

av8b-ara-basketslip.trk

Edited by Pyrocumulous
added reference to previously reported bug

Pimax Crystal, Asus ProArt X670E-Creator, Ryzen 7950X3D, 64gb DDR5, RTX 4090 FE, Magic Trackpad 3, Warthog HOTAS, Warthog Throttle and TPR pedals.

In all my time doing A/A refueling I never encountered this somehow. You will start to detach if you get way out of imaginary cone behind the refueling pod while getting fuel, and there's no physics for the basket, so the drogue won't collide with the probe, but that's true for every plane in DCS in my experience.

If the tanker announces "return pre-contact" when I fall off the basket, I have to announce "ready pre-contact" via the radio menu to re-activate the hose. Otherwise it is futile trying to re-engage the drogue. Some of my best refueling approaches have failed when I flew the refueling arm straight through the basket.

It's a good idea to drive in on the hose 10-20 feet after contact to give yourself some wiggle room. This also makes it obvious if the tanker doesn't think you are cleared for contact.

• 7 months later...

I appreciate that this is quite an old topic, but one explanation for this issue is that if you are one of multiple aircraft tanking at the same time you have to use the drogue which has been allocated to you. So, if the tanker has authorised you to tank from the right hand position your probe will simply pass through the drogue if you attempt to connect to the left hand station.

So, if you approach the tanker and it's trailing a drogue before you announce "Ready pre-contact" you won't be able to connect to that without getting approval.