Shimmering....

markturner1960

So I am super pleased with my Quest pro set up now, getting great image clarity and performance, however, I have one annoying issue...At mid to long distance ( not up close, there its super clear!) I get quite noticeable shimmering around the edges of things. 

Now this was not always the case, I think it has manifested somewhere along the way during my tuning of settings. I list my current settings below: 

In Oculus home: Set resolution to 1 ( 3936 x 1984) This for me gave the best combination of frame rates and graphics quality, along with the other settings below

In OTT I have supersampling at 1.4, ASW on auto, in the quest link section encode resolution 3905, bitrate 0 dynamic bitrate & sharpening enabled, max dynamic 750

In ODT, I have FOV tangent multiplier at 0.8; 0.8  All other settings as default.

In DCS, PD is 1, MSAA x2, Shadows medium, clouds high, textures high, vis range high, Anisotropic x16, terrain shadows off, No lense effects or heat blur,

I set my GPU to 1770 mhz & 825 amps in MSI afterburner as above. In OpenXR perf tools, I have foveated rendering on set quality wide and the post processing for the sunglasses feature. Everything else off.

What do you guys find has the most effect on firstly causing the shimmering and secondly getting rid of it? 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

No experience with the oculus settings, but what you are describing sounds like aliasing.  I use the G2, and setting AA lower than 4x introduces the kind of aberration you're describing.  (perhaps look into Anti-aliasing settings?)

MSI Z790 Carbon - i9-139000k - RTX 4090 - 64GB DDR5 - (3x) WD SN850X - HP Reverb G2

Thanks and yeah, I tried that before I posted as it seemed the obvious culprit, however, I always ran at 2x before and had no issues, running x4 does not seem to affect it. i was wondering if it was something to do with how the sharpening worked ? 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

OK, in the middle of a laboriuos process to try and pin down the cause, during which I have noticed something strange. I am using the supercarrier as a test, as it has lots of wires, cables etc that "shimmer" or show the sharpness well. 

Can anyone tell me whats going on here? I noticed with my head vertical, I get more noticeable jagginess on horizontal lines and edges. if I tilt my head 45 degrees left or right, it looks better! 

Edited by markturner1960

Nvidia 3090 , That actually helped fairly significantly...thank you! 

I would still be interested to hear from someone who knows about how the sharpening applied in both OTT and OpenXr performance tools works and its effects on what we see 

Cheers.

It helped, but did not eradicate

once again this forum is proving helpful. I didn't know what LOD negative bias was and why it was recommended CLAMP. I had set it to Allow, and then noticed excessive shimmering, but I didn't connect the dots... until this post... 

well, to my experience shimmering can never be eradicated in DCS VR, can only be minimized with the setting above, high PD, MSAA 4x and clouds Ultra, which in this combination needs a very strong rig... even then, still some shimmering (aliasing)

MEG Infinite X 11th; MSI Coreliquid K240 V2; 1000W PSU; MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Ventus 3X OC 24GB GDDR6X

So what do people ( preferably Quest pro users with similar set up) think of the sharpening options found within OpenXR performance tools? 

Do they help at all? 

What type do you use? NIS, CAS etc) 

What percentage ? 

What performance hit is there ? 

Something in my settings has introduced a very fine but noticeable grainy effect, which I am pretty sure was there when i first started...It's not terrible, but i would like to understand how all these options work and what their effects are.

Another query related to to this is FXAA & Anti aliasing transparency in NVCP.....Useful? or not? And why for either answer......

Thanks! 

Hi, I’m having the same issue with shimmering. Also on Quest Pro. I was hoping the QPro would be high enough resolution to get rid of that. Set LOD to Clamp. 
I wonder if this is current VR / headset resolution limitation? For instance do Varjo users have shimmering?

also, in Nvidia control panel, anyone played around with DSR (dynamic super resolution) settings? Would that help?

Alienware Aurora R10, Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX4080, 32GB RAM, Pimax Crystal, Winwing F18 throttle, VKB Gunfighter F14 Stick, VKB Modern Combat Grip, Logitech Rudder pedals, DOF Reality H3

Not strictly related as now I have an aero, all shimmering is gone....

However, when using the G2, anything much below 2600 wide resolution with MSAA x2 would shimmer. Upscaling will introduce more shimmer and MSAA will help to quell it.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

On 6/7/2023 at 9:40 AM, markturner1960 said:

In Oculus home: Set resolution to 1 ( 3936 x 1984) This for me gave the best combination of frame rates and graphics quality, along with the other settings below

In OTT I have supersampling at 1.4

Leave the supersampling at default and just set the render resolution in the Oculus app. Then you know what resolution the app (DCS) is actually rendering at. We don't know how the two interact or whether one overrides the other. I find 4704x2384 gives me the optimum resolution/sharpness.

MSAAx4 gives a big improvement over x2 for shimmering. If you run at that, your problems may be gone.

ok, will try thanks

On 6/8/2023 at 10:09 PM, Dentedend10 said:

Hi, I’m having the same issue with shimmering. Also on Quest Pro. I was hoping the QPro would be high enough resolution to get rid of that. Set LOD to Clamp. 
I wonder if this is current VR / headset resolution limitation? For instance do Varjo users have shimmering?

also, in Nvidia control panel, anyone played around with DSR (dynamic super resolution) settings? Would that help?

Its not a headset per se limitation, its just low resolution, the only way you can fix that is going high (very high) on supersampling.

Antialising technices are made for this, the problem is the one on DCS its an old not very efective technique but ED is working on implementing new methods

Edited by 5ephir0th
  • Like 1

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier