Insane bullet drop after shooting certain amount of ammo

Hi everyone, I'm flying in SP with unlimited ammo. What I've noticed is, after shooting for a while the bullet velocity decreases insanely. For example, P51 50cals drop like 100m vertically after about 200-300 meters. Also, when chasing an opponent at high speed, it's almost like the bullets cannot catch up with him.

Dear DCS devs, could you please shine some light on this, is this normal or is it a bug? I have a track file, where at the end you can clearly see what the issue is, when I fire at a building less than 500 meters away and bullets barely reach it and drop short.

This issue happens with all the warbirds. It kind of defeats the purpose of the Unlimited Ammo difficulty setting, as it renders machine guns and cannons useless after certain period of time. Say I want to set up a scenario with a lot of enemies as a gunnery practice, but after couple of minutes, I cannot hit anything, so I have to restart the scenario again, wasting my time. If you could do something about it, that would be great.

p-51 low 50cal velocity.trk

If you fire for too long your barrel will overheat and that in turn will lead to a higher discrepancy of V0 and much more dispersion.

You should be able to get more bullets out of your barrel properly if you fire in short bursts / give it a bit of time to cool down inbetween bursts.

Edited by razo+r
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 6/10/2023 at 4:45 AM, razo+r said:

If you fire for too long your barrel will overheat and that in turn will lead to a higher discrepancy of V0 and much more dispersion.

You should be able to get more bullets out of your barrel properly if you fire in short bursts / give it a bit of time to cool down inbetween bursts.

This, I think barrel warping from overheat is modelled. Normally you would not get to this point with limited ammo and reasonable shooting. Honestly, rather than using this crutch, I would recommend improving your gunnery/trigger discipline. Short bursts. P-51 has a good amount of ammo without the cheat.