Graphics Overhaul?

dresoccer4
Go to solution Solved by Raven (Elysian Angel),

I know there was a FM upgrade recently, but does anyone know if our ol Huey is up for a graphical upgrade anytime in the future? Several of the other models have been getting some love to bring them up to 2023 levels, so was wondering if the same could be said for our favorite helo?

cheers

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

What exactly do you mean? It seems perfect for me. 🙂

Huey in the air, Spitfire in the hangar 🙂

The last version of OpenBeta (all terrains)

MFG Crosswind V2; Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog; TrackIR 5

On 6/13/2023 at 5:58 PM, jpuk said:

What exactly do you mean? It seems perfect for me. 🙂

that's great it seems perfect for you! no need to worry about this then.

however for other folks it's very noticeable it's no longer up to 2023 levels of graphical fidelity, and deserves an overhaul in the looks department. This has recently been done with the Black Shark 3 as well as with the Gazelle. Also simply take a look at the Apache and you'll be amazed at what is possible with the modern generation of texture tools. Near life-like models are now possible. 

So if anyone has heard of any new of a possible update to our favorite helo it'd be great to hear. cheers!

image.png

Edited by dresoccer4
  • Like 2

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

• Solution
On 6/13/2023 at 11:58 PM, jpuk said:

What exactly do you mean?

Our Huey (and most other older modules) use graphical technology from the DCS 1.5 era (afaik our MiG-21 is still stuck in DCS 1.2). It doesn't support PBR etc that was introduced with DCS 2.5 in early 2018 (more than 5 years ago). It creates issues with how the current lighting model interacts with the materials, for example.
ED have stated numerous times that they plan to update all modules up to current standards, but it's taking MUCH longer than most people like...

• Like 4
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

3 hours ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Our Huey (and most other older modules) use graphical technology from the DCS 1.5 era (afaik our MiG-21 is still stuck in DCS 1.2). It doesn't support PBR etc that was introduced with DCS 2.5 in early 2018 (more than 5 years ago). It creates issues with how the current lighting model interacts with the materials, for example.
ED have stated numerous times that they plan to update all modules up to current standards, but it's taking MUCH longer than most people like...

ah so DCS is indeed planning on upgrading the Huey graphics, good to know. But like you said, who knows when that'll actually happen.

7 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

who knows when that'll actually happen

The Ka-50 was the first in line, so I think they started from the very first DCS module and then slowly work their way up in chronological order.

• Like 2
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2023 at 6:02 PM, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

The Ka-50 was the first in line, so I think they started from the very first DCS module and then slowly work their way up in chronological order.

good info

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I will not believe they will be updated soon until I see it mentioned in the newsletter

• Like 3

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

• 3 weeks later...