Videos of Ka-50

Sharing videos that might not be known to the non-Russian speaking crowd of the V-80/Ka-50. These are meant to be informative on what Ka-50 was/is as a combat platform, a visual representation of what the helicopter is capable of (though not limited to), as well as recollections from the era when it was being actively developed/used. All these, as a means to further the knowledge and understanding around the platform. These videos are mostly collected by @deninferno - all thanks to him for sharing them!

A couple of points to note:

- The videos are of varying quality, please understand that most of them predate the time of "GoPro" and the likes.

- The videos are practically all Russian, as such, you'll mostly salvage them for their visuals.

- Most of the videos are purely about Ka-50, however in one or two instances, it's about helicopters in general or Kamov Design Bureau JSC, where Ka-50 occupies only a small part of the video.

- Lastly, there are a two clips of Ka-50Sh as well as one related to equipment tested for LLTV (Low Light TV). I wish to point out here, that these are videos of it being tested and flown back in the day, however, with regards to the strict requirements for the platform, it was deemed an "unfavourable" system and thus didn't progress any further. The reason being that the LLTV-equipment proved to be heavy enough, such that it introduced a shift in the centre of gravity of the helicopter forward, making it "nose-heavy" and thus resulting in undesired aerodynamic effects. For reference, you will notice that Ka-52 has both a "thicker" fuselage (read: more weight), as well as having it's optics pushed back, relative to the rotor. Because of that, the helicopter becomes heavier, but retains its natural stability and centre of gravity (The offset weight affects the platform less due to shorter working arm, as well as being lighter relative to the rest of the aircraft. Imagine a 500kg load on the wing tip of a Cessna vs. a 20 tonne plane.). Therefore, I ask that these videos do not be used as a means to "harass" ED by requesting a Ka-50Sh - "Because there is a video showing one.".

EDIT - Adding the last few videos that I had to find in my library:

https://youtu.be/v55OPldA6hA - Ka-50 in Chechnya (hyperlink not working, use the address)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyIhZVQ0DBk - (hyperlink not working, use the address)

Edited by zerO_crash
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 7

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Adding more IRL content on the Ka-50:

Pictures of Ka-50 Bort #25:

https://www.net-maquettes.com/pictures/kamov-ka-50-hokum-walkaround/

Pictures of Ka-50 Bort #23 (blue cockpit):

https://ionovmike.livejournal.com/3756.html

For refernce, there were until not long ago, still six Ka-50´s at Torzhok:

- Ka-50 Bort #20 - Does not fly anymore.

- Ka-50 Bort #23 - Maintained cockpit and basic equipment, might be able to fly, but isn´t flown.

- Ka-50 Bort #24 - Is supposedly now moved to Voronezh (no confirmation) for studies within the aerodynamics.

- Ka-50 Bort #26 - Does fly actively. Around 100 hrs per year.

- Ka-50 Bort #27 - Does fly actively. Around 50-100 hrs per year. 

Apparently, these helicopters aren´t only used for testing equipment. The army still believes in the concept of a single-seat attack helicopter. Thus, these helicopters are flown in the manner of a study for potential future applications within tactics and strategy.

I´ll also add pictures of the Ka-52 (Bort #92):

https://ionovmike.livejournal.com/3492.html

At the time of the pictures being made official, there were four Ka-52s on the Torzhok airfield.

- Ka-52 Bort #92 - Flown actively.

- Ka-52 Bort #93 - Flown actively.

- Ka-52 Bort #94 - Flown actively.

- Ka-52 Bort #95 - Flown actively.

Enjoy!

Edited by zerO_crash
  • Thanks 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 months later...

My pleasure! Please, do enjoy! 😉

As a bonus, while not 100% related though as a means of comparison, I'm posting pictures of the Mi-28N:

https://ionovmike.livejournal.com/2825.html

I will also draw attention one of the most interesting panels in the cockpit of a Ka-52 (Mi-28N has a very similar one, with one option less, and generally different functions (based on nomenclature of the buttons)) - check attached picture.

This is the autopilot panel inside a Ka-52. While many functions are not understood, some of the more interesting ones are:

- "ТРОС" - "CABLE". It would indicate a specific AP-mode for flying with cargo on a winch. (Pure speculation - I imagine it could be a reduced sensitivity of the cyclic/collective, so as to permit fine control.)

- "МАРШ" - "MARCH". It would indicate a specific combat mode.

- "ЗАХОД" - "APPROACH". Possibly some sort of AP mode used for approaching landing. Could be an automated landing (speculation).

The most interesting one though, is this:

- "АВТ ТРИММ" - "AUT. TRIM". It would be, that Ka-52/Mi-28 (Mi-28N has this function on its AP-panel as well), are the first helicopters in known existance, to have a automatic trimmer. How this works specifically, is of course not something that we'll know for many years to come. It is nevertheless an incredible functionality to have, if comfort and pilot workload is to count. While trimming is as natural as operating a manual car, one does somewhat notice the difference in comparison to an automatic/electric vehicle.

IMG_0061.jpeg

Edited by zerO_crash
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 10/6/2023 at 6:22 PM, zerO_crash said:

Adding more IRL content on the Ka-50:

I new about the first link, but other I did not have.

Tank you so much!

2 hours ago, zerO_crash said:

- "ЗАВОД" - "FACTORY". Some sort of factory-preset. Possibly turns on the default AP modes with one click instead of multiple individual ones, however this is pure speculation.

I think you made mistake here: it says заход.

I do not speak Russian, but it appears that meaning is "Sunset". It could indicate perhaps landing?

22 minutes ago, Dataduffy said:

thanks for sharing. 

That Mi-28 does look very good indeed.... wish we could get it in DCS, but guess that is not possible.,

The auto trim sounds really really interesting!

Definitely, sadly, as you mention yourself, we won't see even the most basic iterations of that airframe for decades to come. It is a beautiful aircraft though. The cockpit looks incredibly ergonomic as well, with good all-around visibility. For a conventional helicopter design, it is a well designed machine 👍

10 minutes ago, okopanja said:

I new about the first link, but other I did not have.

Tank you so much!

Enjoy it! 😉

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

4 hours ago, okopanja said:

I think you made mistake here: it says заход.

I do not speak Russian, but it appears that meaning is "Sunset". It could indicate perhaps landing?

I did indeed, was multitasking while making the post. I corrected the post now. It is "ЗАХОД", literally meaning "APPROACH". Possibly, an automated landing mode, or approach/landing tailored handling-mode. It's pure speculation on my end though. Good stuff!

Edited by zerO_crash

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...
On 2/29/2024 at 10:07 AM, Dataduffy said:

thanks for sharing. 

That Mi-28 does look very good indeed.... wish we could get it in DCS, but guess that is not possible.,

The auto trim sounds really really interesting!

I always wonder how many projects they had queued up for more modern Russian stuff that had to get axed because of Russia's shift in getting even more tight-lipped and secure than they already had been.

Even an older Mi-28 would be a blast, and I'll continue to dream of a day where we get a Ka-52 with multicrew to really give the Redfor a counter to the AH-64. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I noticed that there is one essential source (page) not added here by me:

https://www.net-film.ru/found-page-1/?search=qКа-50

Maybe you can get it translated. In any case, there are videos here that never hot uploaded to Youtube or other pages. Think of this as a Russian digital video-archive containing clips from different epochs. You can search for videos of other aircraft/vehicles/subjects too. It's a huge library with anything from short glimpses to longer documentaries/films. It's mostly older stuff.

Have fun!

Edited by zerO_crash

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Another interesting video that I found in my library. This time, Ka-52 (initial production version). This is Ka-52's PrPNK Argument-52 on board radar station, with the frontal radar (РЛК) - "Арбалет " showing some of the basic functionality:

Also, first use of a helicopter ejection seat in combat - Ka-52:

One can see how after being hit, the pilots trigger the ejection procedure, blowing off the blades (initial hellical explosions at the rotor centre), followed by a brief ejection of the crew (the co-pilot can easily be seen with the smoke trail going left of the helicopter (as seen from camera's position)). 

Enjoy!

Edited by zerO_crash
  • Thanks 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Posted (edited)

Thought I'd share a list of all the V-80 & Ka-50 borts that were ever built, along with interesting details regarding those:

IMG_0411.jpeg

IMG_0410.jpeg

IMG_0412.jpeg

IMG_0413.jpeg

The Kamovs (in general), are considered the safest helicopters in the world. Not counting ejection seats on the Ka-50/52, the helicopters are immune to many aerodynamic effects plaguing conventional helicopters. This get's further solidified, when one looks at the incredibly low accident rate of these helicopters. Adding to that, the inherent efficiency aspect of this design (all power goes to vertical lift), the helicopter becomes a unique and expensive product, but one stressing quality and performance.

Edited by zerO_crash
  • Like 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Am 22.5.2024 um 14:46 schrieb zerO_crash:

I have seen it in multiple cockpits of Kamovs and Mils. Last I saw it in a Mi-26. Haven't come across any videos showing its specific use or operation, though. 

IMG_0538.jpeg

IMG_0539.jpeg

The biggest secret of the ka50 is still how the altitude is entered in the real ka50, because it doesn't work in ours. 😞

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Hobel said:

The biggest secret of the ka50 is still how the altitude is entered in the real ka50, because it doesn't work in ours. 😞

Which altitude are you thinking about? What instrument?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

vor 2 Minuten schrieb zerO_crash:

Which altitude are you thinking about? What instrument?

Enter target points in the PVI-800.

If you create them in the ME, the target will have the correct height.
 but in KA50 there is no option to add the altitude... which is very annoying...

shortly after the KA-50III was released, you could still set it roughly like this, now nothing works anymore