MT VR Broken for Varjo Aero users

MackTheKnight

So update DCS 2.8.7.42583 didn't fix this. Running a 5950. MT is borked.  
Rolling back to older updates is not a good option for those in online squadrons. 

I saw here where some smart dude said he submitted a ticket. Not sure how to do it, but I'll look around. Seems like these threads exist in "BUGS AND PROBLEMS" to inform ED of such things, but I guess sometimes you just have to bear with the process. 

Edited by Abahji

Yeah that was me. Just opened a new one for the latest build. Still doesn't work though it did just once a few minutes ago when I deleted the saved game folder in users. That only worked once though. Just weird. It's possibly some kind of buffer issue based on the info that Matthieu B gave me back when I was troubleshooting the last build. Really frustrating.

To open a ticket, go to the main site under support. Make sure you are logged in.
Trouble tickets (digitalcombatsimulator.com)

• Like 1

@dburne  Hi! I believe you stated somewhere that you are not having any issues with the latest DCS OB build and the Aero in VR correct? I have a ticket open with ED and mentioned that some folks were running fine and they asked if I could compare settings with those not having an issue. If you don't mind, can you tell me what video card you are running and if a 4090 what driver version? I've tried several, currently on 536.67. Also I'm presuming you are on the latest Varjo Base and firmware (3.10.1.14 & 0.17.0.486)? Are you running Varjo Foveated 0.2.0 or OXR toolkit etc? Finally, presuming you are DCS MT, and starting with --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR and or VR checked in settings? Appreciate any answers you can provide! Thanks!

Sorry to post continuously but I have an update. 

I rolled Varjo Base back to the previous 3.9.0.10 version and DCS build 2.8.7.42583 works fine in VR. I then upgraded back to the latest Varjo Base of 3.10.1.14 and it hung and had the message in the log:
ERROR   VISUALIZER (Main): OpenXR exception: runtime is not available
    Source: Projects\Visualizer\Source\OpenXR\openxr_program.cpp:322

Subsequent attempts to load DCS defaulted to 2d with the same message, as before.

Rolled back again to Varjo Base 3.9.0.10 and 3d works again. Loaded consistently at least 6 times.

At least on my system, the incompatibility is between the latest builds of DCS and Varjo Base. Older build of either will work with the newer of the other (DCS 2.8.6.41066 works with Varjo Base 3.10.1.14 but DCS 2.8.7.42583 only works with Varjo Base 3.9.0.10 (or earlier presumably).

If anyone else having the issue wants to try this please let me know if it works or not and I will update the ticket I have open with ED and Varjo.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I’ll give this a test tomorrow morning and see if I’ve also got the same solution. 

New Setup : 13900K, Asus ROG Strix 4090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, DT 1990 Pro Headphones & TrackIR v5

Old Setup: 12900KS @ 5.5 , EVGA FTW3 Hybrid 3090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, Philips X2HR Headphones & TrackIR v5

Old Old Setup: 9900KS @ 5.2, EVGA FTW3 3090. 32GB of DDR3866, 3x 1TB ADATA NVME

9 hours ago, daddio007 said:

@dburne  Hi! I believe you stated somewhere that you are not having any issues with the latest DCS OB build and the Aero in VR correct? I have a ticket open with ED and mentioned that some folks were running fine and they asked if I could compare settings with those not having an issue. If you don't mind, can you tell me what video card you are running and if a 4090 what driver version? I've tried several, currently on 536.67. Also I'm presuming you are on the latest Varjo Base and firmware (3.10.1.14 & 0.17.0.486)? Are you running Varjo Foveated 0.2.0 or OXR toolkit etc? Finally, presuming you are DCS MT, and starting with --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR and or VR checked in settings? Appreciate any answers you can provide! Thanks!

Correct , zero issues running DCS in my Aero using DCS MT and Varjo Foveated 0.2.0. - no OpenXR Toolkit.  Gigabyte 4090 OC. Nvidia Driver 536.40.

Yes latest Varjo Base and firmware.  DCS-MT and my shortcut uses "D:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin-mt\DCS.exe" --force_OpenXR  Although I think the force_OpenXR nomenclature is no longer necessary as the MT uses Open XR natively. But I just leave it in there. I have VR checked in the DCS settings.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

7 hours ago, daddio007 said:

I rolled Varjo Base back to the previous 3.9.0.10 version and DCS build 2.8.7.42583 works fine in VR. I then upgraded back to the latest Varjo Base of 3.10.1.14 and it hung and had the message in the log:

Subsequent attempts to load DCS defaulted to 2d with the same message, as before.

Rolled back again to Varjo Base 3.9.0.10 and 3d works again. Loaded consistently at least 6 times.

At least on my system, the incompatibility is between the latest builds of DCS and Varjo Base. Older build of either will work with the newer of the other (DCS 2.8.6.41066 works with Varjo Base 3.10.1.14 but DCS 2.8.7.42583 only works with Varjo Base 3.9.0.10 (or earlier presumably).

If anyone else having the issue wants to try this please let me know if it works or not and I will update the ticket I have open with ED and Varjo.

Thanks!

Thanks for the update mate much appreciated, so with the VB software rolled back you can use the OpenXRTK within DCS? i.e. NO DFR enabled?

wheelie

Windows10, RTX4090 OC, i9-9900k @ 5ghz all cores, 64gb DDR3600 ram, M.2 boot drive and crucial SSD's, M.2 for DCS.
VR user Varjo Aero, Virpil Throttle and Base with Thrustmaster sticks.

42 minutes ago, zildac said:

Out of curiosity, for those who are having the issue, what do you get when you run the OpenXR runtime switcher tool?

https://github.com/WaGi-Coding/OpenXR-Runtime-Switcher

Shows as normal to me buddy, Varjo runtime available in both stereo and quad modes.

• Like 1

wheelie

Windows10, RTX4090 OC, i9-9900k @ 5ghz all cores, 64gb DDR3600 ram, M.2 boot drive and crucial SSD's, M.2 for DCS.
VR user Varjo Aero, Virpil Throttle and Base with Thrustmaster sticks.

5 hours ago, zildac said:

Out of curiosity, for those who are having the issue, what do you get when you run the OpenXR runtime switcher tool?

https://github.com/WaGi-Coding/OpenXR-Runtime-Switcher

While I dont run that switcher, I have the same functionality in OpenXR Explorer...  One thing I discovered this morning was that with --force_OpenXR enabled... even if Varjo is selected, it gets wiped and the log entry like daddio007 appears.

2023-07-26 17:18:11.764 ERROR VISUALIZER (Main): OpenXR exception: runtime is not available Source: Projects\Visualizer\Source\OpenXR\openxr_program.cpp:322

If I remove --force_openXR the game actually starts working again and varjo remains enabled.  Wierdly though, I get a mask that doesnt match the aero at all. See attachments.  This is the first time I've had current VB able to launch with post-41066.1 DCS.  I dont believe the mystery is solved yet since up to this point, all advice was to leave --force_openXR enabled, and the mask isnt the right mask and the image is just weird in the headset.  However, the log failure to find runtime does not appear.  

My belief still is that current DCS and current VB aren't identifying the headset properly (for some headsets)

varjo.png

• Like 2

New Setup : 13900K, Asus ROG Strix 4090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, DT 1990 Pro Headphones & TrackIR v5

Old Setup: 12900KS @ 5.5 , EVGA FTW3 Hybrid 3090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, Philips X2HR Headphones & TrackIR v5

Old Old Setup: 9900KS @ 5.2, EVGA FTW3 3090. 32GB of DDR3866, 3x 1TB ADATA NVME

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Fairly new to DCS.  The issue I'm having is weird.  I can get MT to open on my Varjo Aero, l but for some reason, it open in the hangar splash screen with me on the wings of the flanker or Mig 29 (whichever it is) and with the menus way down by my feet in the headset.   

Moreover when I fly this way it looks like I'm sitting on top of the canopy looking down into my plane.  I've tried Num5 to center the view as well as the GUI commands to center view but nothing has worked.

Any ideas what might be causing this?   I'm not sure if it's a bug in the Aero headset or in DCS.  Any help/or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

On 8/11/2023 at 10:11 AM, finkelt said:

Hi all,

Fairly new to DCS.  The issue I'm having is weird.  I can get MT to open on my Varjo Aero, l but for some reason, it open in the hangar splash screen with me on the wings of the flanker or Mig 29 (whichever it is) and with the menus way down by my feet in the headset.   

Moreover when I fly this way it looks like I'm sitting on top of the canopy looking down into my plane.  I've tried Num5 to center the view as well as the GUI commands to center view but nothing has worked.

Any ideas what might be causing this?   I'm not sure if it's a bug in the Aero headset or in DCS.  Any help/or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

That's a feature bug of openxr currently, you just need to hit the reset VR centre position once loaded into the hangar 🙂

Check the bindings, I think it might be in the UI layer for recentre VR headset.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2023 at 6:47 AM, daddio007 said:

Thanks!

So what is the actual take on all this. I have been three weeks on a vacation and this weekend I wanted to fire up DCS. I still have the older DCS build and I do not play online, however, I think it would be still better to get the other improvements, so is it going to work if I update DCS to the latest beta and go for an older Varjo Base? How do I get an older version of Varjo Base?

Just in case, does the rollback in DCS still work (DCS_updater.exe update 2.8.6.41066@openbeta) if I give the latest beta a go?

Just an update. Since I had other problems with headset not coming up after the boot, connection and stuff like that I got a new connection box and cables from Varjo. I do not know if this was the crucial factor, but after I updated my DCS to the latest beta (Varjo base version 3.10.1.14 - fw 0.17.0.486) it just simply worked. I keep my fingers crossed...