After update to DCS 2.8.6.41363 Open Beta - random black screen

Hipster
Go to solution Solved by Hipster,

Updated to 41363 and installed F-15E. 

Loading taking a lot longer than usual, and then "splash screen" randomly cuts out to a black screen for a period of time. 

Continuing to select and load an instant action mission and the same thing happens - random black screens of differing time durations.

Disabled all mods, have run a repair, log attached.

Advice gratefully received.  

dcs.log

• Like 1

PC -> i5-12400F, 32GB RAM, RTX 3060 Ti, dedicated SSD.  T16000 HOTAS.  Opentrack/PS3 Camera & MSI monitor(s)...(Reality, virtual or otherwise, makes me feel a little nauseous.)

Hi @Hipster. Some mods remain:

2023-06-23 15:47:47.554 INFO    Scripting (Main): OBSOLETE mount_vfs_sound_path() used in E:\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Mods/tech/RedK0d-Clickable-v1.1.5/entry.lua
2023-06-23 15:50:24.598 ERROR   Lua::Config (Main): Call error LuaExportBeforeNextFrame:[string "E:\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\VAICOMPRO\VAICOMPRO.export.lua"]:61: attempt to call method 'Alt' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'Alt'
	[string "E:\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\VAICOMPRO\VAICOMPRO.export.lua"]:61: in function 'BeforeNextFrame'
	[string "E:\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\VAICOMPRO\VAICOMPRO.export.lua"]:110: in function <[string "E:\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\VAICOMPRO\VAICOMPRO.export.lua"]:109>.
2023-06-23 15:50:24.914 INFO    TACVIEW.DLL (Main): Recording flight data in [E:\Misc Files\Tacview Files\Tacview-20230623-165025-DCS-F-15C - Persian Gulf - Free Flight Dubai East.zip.acmi]
2023-06-23 15:50:24.918 INFO    TACVIEW.DLL (Main): Export rights granted by the host: PlayerPlane=[1] PlayerSensors=[1] OtherObjects=[1]
2023-06-23 15:50:24.942 WARNING WORLD (Main): ModelTimeQuantizer: ANTIFREEZE ENABLED
2023-06-23 15:50:24.942 ERROR   Lua::Config (Main): Call error LuaExportBeforeNextFrame:[string "E:\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\VAICOMPRO\VAICOMPRO.export.lua"]:61: attempt to call method 'Alt' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'Alt'
	[string "E:\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\VAICOMPRO\VAICOMPRO.export.lua"]:61: in function 'BeforeNextFrame'
	[string "E:\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\VAICOMPRO\VAICOMPRO.export.lua"]:110: in function <[string "E:\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\VAICOMPRO\VAICOMPRO.export.lua"]:109>.

Try this:

1/ Browse to "Saved Games".

2/ Rename your "DCS.openbeta" folder to "DCS.openbeta.bak".

(do NOT delete this folder, you'll need it back later because it contains your custom keybinds, campaign progress, and a lot of other data you don't want to lose)

3/ Run DCS. A fresh DCS.openbeta folder will be created and you will need to enter your credentials.

4/ See if the issue persists.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Thanks for the quick response!  

Followed instructions but no difference.  Log attached.

dcs.log

PC -> i5-12400F, 32GB RAM, RTX 3060 Ti, dedicated SSD.  T16000 HOTAS.  Opentrack/PS3 Camera & MSI monitor(s)...(Reality, virtual or otherwise, makes me feel a little nauseous.)

4 minutes ago, Noahmoore said:

Following. Same bug for me. New update + F-15E, get black screen on start. Tried repairing DCS and updating all drivers, no effect.

Please attach your dcs.log (from "Saved Games/DCS.../Logs").

32 minutes ago, Hipster said:

Followed instructions but no difference. 

You have now a clean DCS, indeed. I don't see anything special in the log. You should open a support ticket: log into DCS website, click "Support", then click "Create a new ticket".

Remember to keep your "DCS.openbeta.bak" folder. You'll need it once your issue gets solved.

Seemingly, exactly the same problem I have. Much slower login, then just black screen

dcs.log

Self Build: 5000D Airflow Case, Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero DDR 5 MOBO, 1200W Corsair Modular PSU, I9-12900K CPU, MSI 3080 ti 12GB GPU, Corsair Vengence 64GB DDR5 5600 RAM, H150i Elite CPU Cooler, 2 x 1TB & 1 x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD's, Windows 10 Pro OS, Samsung Odyssey G7 28" G-Sync (3840 x 2160 Resolution) Monitor, Thrustmaster, ROG Strix Go 2.4 Headset , HOTAS Warthog Stick, Throttle & TPR Rudder mounted on WheelStandPro V2 rig. TrackIR 5 - DCS: Channel, Normandy 2, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada, S. Atlantic, Sinai - FC3, Super Carrier, Spitfire, Mosquito, P-51, P-47, Bf-109, FW-190 A-8, AH-64D, Huey, F18-C Hornet, AV-8B, F-16C, F-5E, A-10C II, F-86E Sabre, F-15E Strike Eagle, F-14 Tomcat, Viggen, MB-339. Android Tablet with DCS UFC & DCS NAV

• Solution

Shut down PC last night.  Had a message from Support to try uninstalling the F-15E module, so started the PC back up and logged into DCS (still with "clean" DCS install and "new" ...\saved games folder).

Loading time improved and no random black screens.  Tried various "instant action" and "training" sessions.  Stable and no issues.  Reverted to "old" saved games folder and tested again: no issues.

Looks like the old "switch it off and then back on again" trick worked for me.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Flappie said:

Thanks for your feedback. I understand you did not re-installed the F-15E yet?

Didn't need to un-install it...logged on to do that but everything was working fine!

6 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Strange, but satisfying since it works. 👍

Self healing software 🙂

On 6/24/2023 at 5:08 AM, Flappie said:

Strange, but satisfying since it works. 👍

I've narrowed down the Blackscreen cause to the "Config" folder in SavedGames. If I copy and paste my entire existing Saved Games Beta folder (including mods), minus the config file, no black screen. 

Any idea what inside the config file could be causing a black screen on start?

The options.lua file, most probably. It contains your custom graphic options, among other things (your gameplay and "special" options too). Can you please attach it here so I can take a look?

• 2 weeks later...

Similar issue here; MT never fully loads; sometimes a brief window of access presents (between hour glass icon) and i am able to select a function such as campaign but after that it is in a constant state of loading. Have to go back ST which tanks perf on intensive loads such as with supercarrier.

i don't mind the increased load time; would be happy if it at least worked as it did with the previous openbeta release. Happy to post my dcs log file if that helps any diag.

DCS Module: F/18 module, Super Carrier

4090, I7 (13th gen), 32GB Ram, Quest2 (OpenXR)

i7-13700KF; RTX-4090; 32GB RAM; Quest 3; Virpil CM3 + VKB Gunfighter Mk.IV Modern Combat Edition Ultimate

17 hours ago, nephilimborn said:

Similar issue here; MT never fully loads; sometimes a brief window of access presents (between hour glass icon) and i am able to select a function such as campaign but after that it is in a constant state of loading. Have to go back ST which tanks perf on intensive loads such as with supercarrier.

i don't mind the increased load time; would be happy if it at least worked as it did with the previous openbeta release. Happy to post my dcs log file if that helps any diag.

DCS Module: F/18 module, Super Carrier

4090, I7 (13th gen), 32GB Ram, Quest2 (OpenXR)

Get a live log viewer and monitor the DCS.log in real time, so you can see if DCS is hung at actually doing something like compiling shaders.

Cheers! 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2023 at 7:24 AM, MAXsenna said:

Get a live log viewer and monitor the DCS.log in real time, so you can see if DCS is hung at actually doing something like compiling shaders.

Cheers! 

Many thanks; that is very helpful technical advice! I was able to mitigate this (happens rarely now) by deleting the contents of the metashaders2 and fxo directories

• Like 1

i7-13700KF; RTX-4090; 32GB RAM; Quest 3; Virpil CM3 + VKB Gunfighter Mk.IV Modern Combat Edition Ultimate