F-16 track target outside of radar scan azimuth?

Go to solution Solved by Cepheus76,

Hey guy. I'm new to the Viper and have a question about its radar function. I noticed that when bugging a target in RWS, I can move my radar to a different direction and the radar still track a target outside of its scan azimuth.

Can someone explain to me how can the F-16 FCS is still able to track a target for an AIM-120 launch despite the radar isn't scanning the target?

Hi @justAflankerFAN! I think you are experiencing this viper feature.

She can track primary targets even outside radar configuration

Edited by Pantera93

- "It's better to reign in hell than to serve in Heaven"

Modules: A-4E-C Skyhawk, A-10C II Tank Killer, AJS37 Viggen, AV-8B Harrier, F-14B Tomcat, F-15C Eagle, F-16C Viper, F/A-18C Hornet, MIG-21 Fishbed, MIG-29, SU-27, SU-33

Maps: Caucasus, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier

Rig: i7 4790 / Nvidia GTX 1070 Strix / 16GB RAM DDR3 1600 MHz / 256 GB SSD / Windows 10

Setup: ThrustMaster TWCS Throttle, Titanwolf "Vulture" Stick, DelanClip PRO, Home-made universal Cockpit panel

19 minutes ago, Pantera93 said:

Hi @justAflankerFAN! I think you are experiencing this viper feature.

She can track primary targets even outside radar configuration

I know that, just want to know how can the Viper does it. In other jet if the contact fall outside of the radar azimuth scan, it will no longer be able to track that contact for an AIM-120 shot

• Solution

When in Dual Target Track mode, the antenna is driven on regular intervals to the bearing of the target(s) outside the current scan volume. You can see this when monitoring the caret indicating the antenna train angle on the bottom of the radar display. Most of the time it will move between the lines indicating the showing the azimuth, but in regular intervals it moves to the contact bearings tracked in DTT. 

I'am not sure, but I think the antenna will then scan only along the bearing to the contact, pretty much like in STT, before returning to the commanded scan azimuth.

• Like 1