G2 help.

HoBGoBLiNzx3

So I've always ran MR off with my G2 but recently started using it as the OpenXR tool update really helped with projection. 

I'm running into an issue hopefully I can get some insight on. I can obtain a stable 45 locked on rivatuner if I limit or I can produce 60fps uncapped with MR off.

However, If I turn on MR (with riva tuner frame limited on and off doesn't matter) It always pushes me under 45 to mid 30's.. I know there is some overhead with MR but I don't think it should be costing 30fps. I've tried frames over latency and 3 on NVCP pre renders. Nothing seems to help it.

I have a 3080 and i7-9700k with IEST on 5ghz. XMP on 32gb Reverb G2 (all drivers and updates current)

I'm running 80% on XR tools with CAS and Fovated on quality. 

Any help would be greatly appriciated. 

Cpu frame times are around 6-8ms

GPU frame times around 18-21ms <--- I can't seem to get that down regardless of my resolution or settings by much... 

I would really like to get MR to be stable at 45.... a few dips wouldn't be terrible but not constantly jumping between the two.

Edited by HoBGoBLiNzx3

Have you tried throttle locking the G2 in oxrtk to 45fps instead in using msi/rivatuner ? I personally never locked fps using that. I was running no repo and throttle locking to 55fps and resolution over ride to 2800x2800 I think that equivalent to 80% and using cas 30% also Turbo Mode.

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

I can produce 60fps uncapped with MR off.

> GPU frame times around 18-21ms

That's contradictory. 1/0.021 = 47 FPS, not 60 FPS. Your 2 FPS headroom is insufficient to maintain a solid 45 FPS with MR on, hence you get dumped to 30 FPS (there is no granularity in-between, you can get half - ie 45 - or one third - ie 30). So MR isn't costing you 30 FPS, but it is costing you more than the 2 FPS headroom you have, which in turn turns into a dramatic fall to the one third mode.

It's unclear whether you meant that this measurement is with MR on or off though. But regardless, this is enough for me to think that getting 30 FPS is the expected outcome given your system's performance.

You can try _forcing_ the algorithm to use 45 FPS mode via OpenXR Toolkit settings as suggested above (set Motion Reprojection to On in OpenXR Toolkit and then use the Lock Motion Reprojection right below it). But assuming that you often dip just even to 44 FPS, the "forced" mode is likely going to make things worse.

I wasn't banned, but this account is mostly inactive and not monitored.

On 7/23/2023 at 11:59 PM, HoBGoBLiNzx3 said:

So I've always ran MR off with my G2 but recently started using it as the OpenXR tool update really helped with projection. 

I'm running into an issue hopefully I can get some insight on. I can obtain a stable 45 locked on rivatuner if I limit or I can produce 60fps uncapped with MR off.

However, If I turn on MR (with riva tuner frame limited on and off doesn't matter) It always pushes me under 45 to mid 30's.. I know there is some overhead with MR but I don't think it should be costing 30fps. I've tried frames over latency and 3 on NVCP pre renders. Nothing seems to help it.

I have a 3080 and i7-8700k with IEST on 5ghz. XMP on 32gb Reverb G2 (all drivers and updates current)

I'm running 80% on XR tools with CAS and Fovated on quality. 

Any help would be greatly appriciated. 

Cpu frame times are around 6-8ms

GPU frame times around 18-21ms <--- I can't seem to get that down regardless of my resolution or settings by much... 

I would really like to get MR to be stable at 45.... a few dips wouldn't be terrible but not constantly jumping between the two.

Sounds for me, you have set the max refresh rate of your Headset (G2) to 60 Hz. That would explain all your issues.

Please don't limit the FPS in VR using extra tools, expect OpenXR Toolkit.

Set the refresh rate of your HS to 90 Hz, and after that use "MR" from the WMR settings (you can do that using the OpenXR Toolkit).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11 Pro, HD: 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD

HOTAS Throttle: TM Warthog Throttle with TM F16 Grip, Orion2 Throttle with F15EX II Grip with Finger Lifts

HOTAS Sticks: TM AVA Base with TM F16 Stick, FSSB R3 Base with TM F16 Stick

Rudder: WinWing Orion Metal

7 hours ago, Nedum said:

Sounds for me, you have set the max refresh rate of your Headset (G2) to 60 Hz. That would explain all your issues.

Please don't limit the FPS in VR using extra tools, expect OpenXR Toolkit.

Set the refresh rate of your HS to 90 Hz, and after that use "MR" from the WMR settings (you can do that using the OpenXR Toolkit).

I said in the op that is with and without limiting. I was able to lock reprojection in openxr toolkit and it stabilized but the artifacting went through the roof. Guess I'll just keep it off for now.

22 hours ago, mbucchia said:

I can produce 60fps uncapped with MR off.

> GPU frame times around 18-21ms

That's contradictory. 1/0.021 = 47 FPS, not 60 FPS. Your 2 FPS headroom is insufficient to maintain a solid 45 FPS with MR on, hence you get dumped to 30 FPS (there is no granularity in-between, you can get half - ie 45 - or one third - ie 30). So MR isn't costing you 30 FPS, but it is costing you more than the 2 FPS headroom you have, which in turn turns into a dramatic fall to the one third mode.

It's unclear whether you meant that this measurement is with MR on or off though. But regardless, this is enough for me to think that getting 30 FPS is the expected outcome given your system's performance.

You can try _forcing_ the algorithm to use 45 FPS mode via OpenXR Toolkit settings as suggested above (set Motion Reprojection to On in OpenXR Toolkit and then use the Lock Motion Reprojection right below it). But assuming that you often dip just even to 44 FPS, the "forced" mode is likely going to make things worse.

Thanks Mbucchia. I meant when it's on. I was able to lock it to 45 but I had to drop resolution down to 80 and use FSR at 80% as well. My gpu frame times went down to 13-15ms which was much more stable but I was getting pretty bad artifacting and ghosting. So I decided to just leave it off. It's been something I've tried experimenting with and TBH the best I can do without MR is either 100% res with no AA and then the headset starts lagging even though the FPS are 40+ or drop the res down to 80% and add 2xMSAA and it is much smoother with frame times around 16-18ms (hardly ever going over 20). What I meant earlier was I can't seem to get the FPS I'm getting with MR on that I do when I have it off. Which would give me a good 10-15fps over 45. However when I enable MR that headroom vanishes.