AT-802U Skywarden, the newest COIN aircraft. DCS needs this as an official module.

Pnguin9999

U.S. Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) has selected the AT-802U Sky Warden system from L3Harris Technologies and Air Tractor Inc. for its Armed Overwatch program.

The Indefinite Quantity, Indefinite Delivery contract award includes a cost ceiling of $3 billion. The program includes delivery of up to 75 manned fixed-wing aircraft, with an initial program award of $170 million.

Air Tractor reported that the future AT-802U Sky Warden fleet will provide close air support, precision strike, armed intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR), strike coordination and meet advanced air control requirements for use in austere and permissive environments. The aircraft will be used in irregular warfare operations.

The above statement is from an official press release.

ED needs this as an official mod to fill a gap in the lineup. Current COIN aircraft in DCS are badly outdated and not very survivable. This aircraft even though it started life as a crop duster, is heavily armored, relatively fast (for a turbo prop), carries a large payload. It is also very agile, has the latest sensors and datalink, can carry the same weapons as an A-10C II (yes, even LJDAMS, minus the GAU) and has two seats for multicrew. Second on my wish list after the Osprey for Spec Ops work.

null

image.jpeg

AT-802U-Sky-Warden-cockpit.jpg.webp

Edited by Pnguin9999
attribution

RH small.jpg GW vet small.jpg 

"There is no problem that can't be solved with the proper application of the correct amount of explosives." Every Demo NCO.

Ryzen 7-5700X, RTX 3060Ti, 64GB RAM, 2TB M.2 SSD, Asus 5G/WIFI 6 router, Pico 4 wired to router (CAT 8/USB C).

41 minutes ago, Pnguin9999 said:

for use in austere and permissive environments.

Translation: an AO where the enemy doesn’t have AA capability. Not really DCS World.

41 minutes ago, Pnguin9999 said:

Current COIN aircraft in DCS are badly outdated and not very survivable.

Any less so than a crop duster with bomb racks? The A-10 is survivable and sexier… 😁

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 2

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

Translation: an AO where the enemy doesn’t have AA capability. Not really DCS World.

Any less so than a crop duster with bomb racks? The A-10 is survivable and sexier… 😁

I agree, the A-10 is survivable and sexier, it and the UH-1H are my main DCS aircraft. However it's a pure ground attack aircraft, at the speeds that COIN aircraft work at (under 120 KIAS), the A-10 is below stall speed. I am talking about the MB-339, L-39, and C-101 being obsolete. Take a good look at the specs for the U model AT-802, it's almost as heavily armored as an A-10, as maneuverable as... a crop duster, 360 degree (below the aircraft centerline) sensor coverage and targeting systems (imagine your TPOD and IR never being masked), satellite data link, advanced high power secure comms. It could also be broken down into three crates with CTLD and transported in a C-130 to operate from FARPS to designate for attack helos as well as CAS and strike packages. Massive loiter time and double the speed of a Kiowa or Apache. Bonus, it can fly under high tension power lines and lower than a Strela can lock on. As for AA, just use attack helo tactics. Terrain mask, use datalink to plug in the locations of the ZSU, make a mark point, pop up, rifle, duck back down. As long as they are not on a wide open flat plain, you're good. If they are, call in a DEAD flight and hand over the targeting data. This plane would be a game changer in multiplayer recon. The only issue I can see is modeling the electronic systems. Probably have to go a few generations back since I am sure they are classified.

RH small.jpg GW vet small.jpg 

"There is no problem that can't be solved with the proper application of the correct amount of explosives." Every Demo NCO.

Ryzen 7-5700X, RTX 3060Ti, 64GB RAM, 2TB M.2 SSD, Asus 5G/WIFI 6 router, Pico 4 wired to router (CAT 8/USB C).

I would think this role today can be filled by a drone. 

• Like 2

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

22 hours ago, Pnguin9999 said:

I agree, the A-10 is survivable and sexier, it and the UH-1H are my main DCS aircraft. However it's a pure ground attack aircraft, at the speeds that COIN aircraft work at (under 120 KIAS), the A-10 is below stall speed. I am talking about the MB-339, L-39, and C-101 being obsolete. Take a good look at the specs for the U model AT-802, it's almost as heavily armored as an A-10, as maneuverable as... a crop duster, 360 degree (below the aircraft centerline) sensor coverage and targeting systems (imagine your TPOD and IR never being masked), satellite data link, advanced high power secure comms. It could also be broken down into three crates with CTLD and transported in a C-130 to operate from FARPS to designate for attack helos as well as CAS and strike packages. Massive loiter time and double the speed of a Kiowa or Apache. Bonus, it can fly under high tension power lines and lower than a Strela can lock on. As for AA, just use attack helo tactics. Terrain mask, use datalink to plug in the locations of the ZSU, make a mark point, pop up, rifle, duck back down. As long as they are not on a wide open flat plain, you're good. If they are, call in a DEAD flight and hand over the targeting data. This plane would be a game changer in multiplayer recon. The only issue I can see is modeling the electronic systems. Probably have to go a few generations back since I am sure they are classified.

Where's the fun in that? 

Cold war is where all the fun is anyway. 😉

• Like 2